Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking at getting a 1903 sniper-clone (or at least a homage build) but I’d like some input from those who own some. Would yall recommend the Rock Ridge/Gibbs rifles? I’ve heard they were the same. I’ve also seen same National Ordinance builds, but I havent hear anything about them. How do they compare to 1903’s that people have created themselves? Also, in regards to the optic (I don’t intend on shooting NRA vintage matches….yet) I know 2.5x is the standard, but I’d also read about some 4x’s that were made aswell. Anyone use one of those?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
57,845 Posts
2.5x would be for 1903A4 clones (sorry , miss read your post,)

if you are not going to compete, then use what you want in the Weaver or similar line,

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Stay away from the National Ordnance I've heard two stories, one with pics that came apart. Wasn't a pretty sight. Just about any Remington or Smith Corona or Springfield Armory 1903A3 will do you well. Although they were made decades ago a new old stock A3 barrel will work just fine. The hard part would be to find a A4 sniper bolt that hasn't had bubba grinding on the bolt so he can mount a scope. I have a bubba rescue that ended up with a new Remington barrel, the original bolt and a bubba'd A4 bolt that the gunsmith headspaced both bolts to my sporter. I also found a complete milled magazine from an 03 installed. Parts are out there but getting harder to find and more expensive as well. Try and get a "C" pistol grip stock if you can. I used all machined barrel bands, swivels ect. All this was done over 30 years ago. Sometimes I think it was a lot of fun scrounging up the parts. I did all the sanding on the action,barrel,bolt magazine/trigger guard to get the rust and gunk off it. Then my homemade polisher and buffer sat down for a week and polished everything. The motor came from an old table saw and it's almost as old as me. Good luck. Frank

·
Copper Bullet member
262 Posts
I have a Rock Ridge and with hand loads it shoots incredibly well. 1.25 inch groups at 200yards. At 600 yards the thick cross hairs are a detriment.
Good luck.
Tom

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Gibbs and am very happy with it. It shoots very well. Two other friends have them too and they are happy as well. (3 shots at 100 yards, prone with sling)
Textile Rectangle Red Font Carmine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts