Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a bubba'd 1903a3. It's a national ordinance put-together, with a poorly cut down stock. The metal is all in decent shape, but the stock is an absolute wreck. The cut isn't even straight, cutout for the rear swivel is poorly filled with some kind of epoxy, as are the holes for the reinforcing bolt.

The gun shoots just fine, but the stock is just too ugly to put up with.

So, I'm trying to figure out what I should do with it.

I've thought about drilling and tapping it to put a scope on it, and then potentially getting a full stock for it, or getting a nice sporter stock.

If I wanted to get a full stock, I'd be looking at needing:

Upper band and screw
Lower band and screw
Handguard ring

Is that all?

I would assume no one has any concern about drilling and tapping a National Ordinance receiver, as it has no real historic value...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front sight is intact...

The biggest thing I'm not sure of drilling and tapping it. I suppose it's probably not that hard to get something like a redfield scope mount put on it, although I'm not sure if the sort of thing I can do with just a the mount as a template and a drill-press...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've kept my eye on them, although I'm still up in the air about how much I'm willing to spend to put a military stock on this rifle...

If it were a military receiver, I suppose I wouldn't have to think that hard...

It really is so sad that someone did such a terrible job on this stock, the wood actually has a beautiful grain to it. I have considered trying to find one of those fore-end caps that I see on sporting rifles, maybe if I put one of those on and shape the wood to match, then I'd just have to figure out what to do about the horrid glob of putty at the rear swivel...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have any idea about what height rings I would want if I was going to scope it? The bolt handle is 'stock', so I'm assuming I would need high or very high rings?

I was just looking at the redfield 'standard' style bases, and it appears that the way it fits over the dovetail for the rear sight gives it a bit of a self-leveling feature, in other words you can put the scope mount on at an angle because the rear mounting surface is flat..

Makes me wonder if I couldn't drill and tap this myself, as the only major problem I was with doing that was ensuring that the scope mount is perfectly level. I suppose it would still be possible to get the front hole drilled off center, but I think I'd have to work fairly hard to mess that up...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.