Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I just got my hands on a FedOrd (federal ordnance) Remington 1903A3.
My prob is it won't eject rounds. It would extract but it won't kick out the brass. It would just flop on the chamber anti have to manually pick or flick it out.
I checked and it looks like the ejector is the problem it just flops inside its channel. Shouldn't it be like any Mauser ejector where it is pushed out with spring tension?!
Does the 1903 have a spring loaded ejector like a German or yugo muaser?
I really like the rifle. I hope it's just something that I could fix by replacing a spring or something.
Hope you guys with more experience could shed some light.
Thanks.
Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet member
9,157 Posts
The 03/03-A3 ejector is not spring loaded. It is pinned and pivots freely. There is a slight swell at the back of the left bolt lug that cams the ejector into position. With the magazine cutoff lever facing up, the bolt retracts past the follower and exposes more of the ejector than when the magazine cutoff is engaged - cutoff lever down. See if there is any difference in ejection with the cutoff lever up.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Leon, thanks for the reply. I will try tomorrow. This is my first venture into US surplus rifles and the 03A3 is my first US rifle. I am still trying to learn as I move on along.
BTW these rifles can handle modern day hunting ammo right?

·
Gold Bullet member
9,157 Posts
Leon, thanks for the reply. I will try tomorrow. This is my first venture into US surplus rifles and the 03A3 is my first US rifle. I am still trying to learn as I move on along.
Are you opening the bolt with sufficient force to eject the case? It's a military rifle and shooters were not interested in saving their brass.
That is subject to debate. The breech of the 03/03-A3 has an inherent design weakness. The head of the chambered cartridge is not fully enclosed as with other Mauser designs. If the case head cracks or splits, there is a hole in the receiver ring to vent, but it is no guarantee it will work 100%. Military brass is thicker than ciivilian commercial brass, and was not reloaded. I cannot endorse using the 03-A3 as a hunting rifle with commercial ammunition. Some commercial ammo is better than others with regard to brass thickness and strength. I have shot Prvi blue box and white box M2 clone ammo. The Prvi white box shoots to sight calibration. Things get even more complicated with reloaded brass. Others will undoubtedly disagree, and vehemently so.

·
Registered
13,911 Posts
Sigshr, you beat me to the post. I will keep mine here for emphasis.

The other thing you really need to worry about is that those investment-cast 'commercially made' Fed Ord and National Ordnance receivers do NOT have a good reputation for reliability.

Long story short, those receivers CAN and HAVE failed on many people.

If you do choose to fire it, I would not go anywhere near using anything resembling a hot load in it.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,720 Posts

Sorry, but that is not a US surplus rifle, but a commercial cast receiver from the '60's; most recommend that you not shoot it as the receiver can and usually is soft and the headspace grows with each shot.

I'd ditch it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
64,006 Posts
another vote for be careful, don't trust the receiver,

there was a thread here (I think) a while ago, Chuckindenver posted in it, with some pictures of Fed or National ord stuff that was of poor quality,

however you say Fed Ord Remington,, is the receiver marked Remington?

pics would help

·
Platinum Bullet Member
64,006 Posts
The receiver is marked "Fed Ordnance" instead of "Remington", "Smith-Corona", etc.? The only commercial receivers I was aware were National Ordnance and Santa Fe.

not to muddy the waters anymore,,, but didn't Fed Ord import a bunch of 1903s a while back,, (years ago)?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
please advise..is this a National Ord, or Fed Ord imported rifle....post some pictures

Golden state arms {Nat, Ord.} also made a 1903 sporter, built off G.I. actions.. the barrel is usually marked Golden State arms Sporter..
before you shoot, please post some pictures.

·
Gold Bullet member
9,157 Posts
another vote for be careful, don't trust the receiver, there was a thread here (I think) a while ago, Chuckindenver posted in it, with some pictures of Fed or National ord stuff that was of poor quality, however you say Fed Ord Remington,, is the receiver marked Remington? pics would help
I was wondering about that too. I was going on the assumption that the rifle is built on a Remington receiver, and hopefully, a Remington bolt. If so, then good to go with military ammunition, as I previously remarked.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Here are some photos.
The ejector seems ok.
Why does the spent casing just sit on top of the chamber when I work the bolt?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
like i said..
replace it...as well as find the correct follower and spring,. if you still have a stamped steel trigger guard, you need a stamped follower and A3 spring..
the ejector is a cam, thats worked when the bolt is drawn back, the cam wears and or breaks..
remove it, by taking the rifle from the stock, pushing the pin down and out, installing a new one, replace the pin...it is not a screw, even though it looks to have a screw head...that is actually a spring.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.