Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Against sound advice I decided to take the 03 out between rain storms and fired some Federal 150 gr ammo through it. Enclosed are pics of a steel target at 100 meters after 10 rounds most were center hits. The 03 also hit consistently at 200 meters I was a bit surprised the old Warrior can still shoot. Also enclosed is a pic of the spent cases the primers all show good center firing pin hits and no unusual problems on the brass.
Your sights were graduated for the old "M2" spec GI ammunition, which put a 150 fmj 'flat base' bullet down the bore with likely 4895 powder to give 'about' 2650-2700 fps. Commercial ammunition, even the load you shot, are loaded to quite a bit higher pressure. There are a LOT of guys, and even the old Ordnance Dept., who figure that the 'low serial number/high pressure ammunition is NOT a good combination.
I've not shopped for an 03 for quite awhile, I trust that Rick the Librarian is on with his estimation that you got a good, average price, but from what I see, you've got a rifle that's worth a LOT more if you consider the sum of the parts instead of the assembled rifle. Single bolt stocks are worth probably half of what you gave for the rifle to a collector who desperately needs one to finish up his otherwise 'correct' early rifle! (I sold one approximately ten years ago for $400+, and the buyer thought he was stealing it! Who was I to argue?)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.