Gunboards Forums banner

1903 pattern ammo belt-

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  DocAV 
#1 ·
saw one in a shop and didn't know enough to buy it or not-it was dated 43 and in real nice shape,were these things common,i typically see the canvas style in most pics-i'm assuming these were for .303 chargers,not some oddball pistol round or the like??????-any info would be appreciated-he was asking around $40 for it which i thoght was a bit steep-thanks all!-scott

#3 ·
if memory serves me it was nine ,i'm sure it was more than five-to show how limited my knowledge is,i was thinking of it as a waist belt-it had kind of an odd triangular system at the buckle-wish i had taken a camera with me-are these hard to come by-i did a search on e-bay to get a ballpark but came up with zip!

#4 · (Edited)
Nine pocket should be for mounted troops. That brass triangle was to allow a short leather strap to be attached to the waist belt to keep things in place. Possibly that little strap has been lost. If you think of it as a bandoleer, the triangle makes sense.
Reproductions are being made in Australia, but unfortunately I lost the website. I am sure one of the folks from OZ would have it and you could see an illustration.
If it's original, it's not all that common, and the repos are not cheap either.
Of course you realize folks were a bit skinnier then and often they will be tight on us fat folks. LOL

#15 ·
Nine pocket should be for mounted troops. That brass triangle was to allow a short leather strap to be attached to the waist belt to keep things in place. Possibly that little strap has been lost. If you think of it as a bandoleer, the triangle makes sense.
Reproductions are being made in Australia, but unfortunately I lost the website. I am sure one of the folks from OZ would have it and you could see an illustration.
If it's original, it's not all that common, and the repos are not cheap either.
Of course you realize folks were a bit skinnier then and often they will be tight on us fat folks. LOL
Lawrance ordnance is making reproductions of them, 99 dollars Australian at last look

#5 ·
yep,my gut certainly rules out wearing these!display purposes only!i'll have to go back and take a better look-didn't look like a repro but they do have ways of aging these nowadays-is the nine pocket more desirable than the five pocket-i'mn only asking because i think he had two and i'm always looking for a way to fund my purchases(buy both and sell one,hopefully at a profit to help pay for the first)-thanks for your help,scott

#13 ·
A 1903 Pattern bandoleer with a 1940's date would be of South African origin, a large number of them found their way on to the British Surplus market here about 8~9 years ago.
At $40 it's a steal, I think I paid £40 for mine six years ago and they are now going for £70~80 ($140~160).

#10 · (Edited)
They certainly did make these during WWII. The Light Horse Regiments existed as Militia Units (Like the modern Reserve system) right through to about 1942 when they were either dibanded or called up for full time service and changed to motorised units etc. Many small country towns had a Light Horse Troop which was part of one of the L/H Regiments. It was quite a popular thing at the time to be in the Light Horse. Dashing uniform, emu plumes and sabre. Quite a few members of my family were in the Trundle Troop of the 6th Light Horse (NSW Mounted Rifles), right up until disbandment or call up. All of their equipment was of the first war 03 type. There were horse mounted surveilance units operating in the north of Australia right through the war and they still used the 03 pattern equipment.

#12 ·
I don't know if these are still available
British Infantry Equipments 1908-80
Osprey Men at Arms series 108

Tangled Web
Canadian Infantry Accroutements 1855-1985
by Jack L. Summers
Museum Restoration Service
Canadian War Museum, Ottawa Canada K1A 0M8
since Canada used much the same kit as the British it might be useful.

You might try Amazon.com for the both, or the Museum gift shop for the second one.

#17 ·
M1903 Cavalry/LH bandoleer

The Nine Pouch bandoleer was for carrying by the trooper, in which case the small tiedown strap when to his belt on the Right side...It was also made to be carried around the Horse's neck, in which case the strap tied it down to the horse's front saddle stay strap ( the small strap which runs from one side of the Girth Hitch to the other, acoss the horse's chest.

M1903 bandos were also carried by Artillerymen ( 5 pouch if they were on Foot, 9-Pouch if they were mounted; although this was not constant...the 5 pouch is commonly called the "Artillery" Model.

Leather equipment continued to be used in Australia by the VDF (Volunteer Defence Force, which was neither Militia nor "Northern Force", but like the "Home Guard", armed with Converted Maxims (German) old Lewis Guns, NRAA Range .303 rifles, and Martini cadets in .310, for which Footscray made FMJ ammo for; there were also pressed into service Savage .32/20 Bolt actions (?Mod.3A), some Winchesters in .32/20, and any other of this calibre (which could chamber and fire .310 Cadet ); by late 1943, most able bodied members of the VDF had transferred to the AMF (Militia) and shipped to New Guinea, including a lot of "New Australians" who had been (wrongfully) interned in 1940 (mostly Italians, some Germans and Austrians of Jewish persuasion, and other "aliens" deemed initially to be "enemy"
when interned.)

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.