Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
had one on my 1903A3. could barely see the top of the front sight post when sighting in on my target. the concept on having one is a fine idea, but it just wasnt functional, so i took it off. As we all know, with any rifle you have to be careful not to bump the front sight, but with this rifle you have to be extra careful especially since that blade is so thin.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,514 Posts
I think the covers were intended to protect the front sight and were never intended to be left on when the rifle is in use.

Jim

That's correct, although many people - myself included - have and do leave them on anyway. There's often just enough clearance to still use the front sight.

One solution, assuming you can find one, is to get one of the Marine Corps front sight protectors. They were designed for use with the USMC sights, and therefore have a larger hood with gives a lot more clearance with the standard front sight.

·
Copper Bullet member
2,514 Posts
A member just posted pictures of the USMC sights and sight protector in another thread. Basically, the USMC sights used a different elevation slide, with a larger rear aprature sight, along with a wider and slightly higher front sight blade. The USMC front sight protector looks similar to the standard ones, but larger, and does a bit better job of centering the front sight blade.

I've had mine for years. Not sure where you'd find an original one these days.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
If they are original, at that price, they're a bargain. At less than $6, I'd like to hear what shows up. Most protectors sell in the $15-25 range. Unless GPC fell into a whole barrel of them I'd like to see them, first. GPC sometimes has the reputation of using foreign-made reproductions, deserved or otherwise.

If anyone orders one, I'd sure like to see what shows up.:confused:

·
Gold Bullet member
2,930 Posts
I leave mine on my '03's, but not on my 03a3. With the 03a3, it crowds the sight picture, but works well with the 03 since it becomes easier to pick up the front sight and acquire the target easier.

·
Registered
238 Posts
If they are original, at that price, they're a bargain. At less than $6, I'd like to hear what shows up. Most protectors sell in the $15-25 range. Unless GPC fell into a whole barrel of them I'd like to see them, first. GPC sometimes has the reputation of using foreign-made reproductions, deserved or otherwise.

If anyone orders one, I'd sure like to see what shows up.:confused:
Less than $6 does sound pretty cheap, now that I think about it. Nothing original in GI parts is cheap anymore.

·
Banned
1,452 Posts
I had to take them off mine too since they interfere with sighting. Too bad. You'd think someone would come up with a protector like that on the VZ24, ears that don't block the sight picture. Since they are easily removeable they wouldn't effect collectibility.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.