Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just bought a Bulgarian crested M95M. It has a pretty nice crest on it with Steyr 1903 on the side of the receiver. The stock is ok,it's missing the upper hand guards which I will need.It feeds and extracts well and the serial number is in the 11,000 range.Does anyone out there have any info on it?

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
The handguard is going to be a two piece endeavor. The rear half that surrounds the rear sight and goes from the receiver to the first barrel band, is the handguard from a 1924 model Mauser. The front half of the handguard, which goes from the rear band to the front band, is a cut down M95 handguard.

I think the Mauser handguard is going to be the easiest to find. If you have the clip and the extractor, you should be happy you have those. They are as rare as hens teeth on their own.

·
Registered
487 Posts
And congrats, by the way! the Bulgarian crested M95M are the rarest marked M95M's, Steyr marked is the most common. Budapest marked is somewhere in between.

The rear handguard can be made from a walnut M24.47 Yugo handguard. The front HG, as pointed out, will have to be made from a M95 handguard, either a rifle or a Stutzen guard. Maybe try Numrich and Springfield Sporters?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Please post a picture of the receiver and serial number markings. If in the 11,000 range, it is the lowest M95M in my records.
Thanks,
John

·
Registered
950 Posts
Nice find! I still kick myself for passing up a crested M95M about 4 years ago. They are fun to shoot...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

Thank you,I've recently went on a kick that found me buying obscure rifles.I've purchased a Hungarian 43M and the M95M.Now I find myself in the position of wondering if I should attempt a careful restoration.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That rear handguard can be repaired with careful application of cyocyanate (sp?) glue (e.g. Super glue, Krazy glue, etc.) and a clamp. The front handgard, on the other hand, will have to be made. It's doable if you find an M95 handguard. Might have to buy a drill rifle for parts to get one though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M95M Stock

I've checked around and found TSG Armory Custom Rifle Stocks,they make new copies of military stocks.They said that they had the pattern for the M95 rifle and should have no problem in making a stock for a M95M.I believe they quoted me a price at about $225 for the works.I've seen some of their work and it is really nice.I might settle on that.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Want my advice?

Don't restock the wole rifle unless you want to piss away any value it has. Just get the front handguard, repair the rear one and leave it alone.

Also, the original stock whould be matched to the gun. If it is, replacing it would be a tragedy considering all the mismatched M95M's and how rare matching ones are.

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
If you do decide to restock it, be sure to keep the original stock, as already stated, the value would be hurt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
stock

I don't believe the stock is original to the rifle.Looks like a 40's era replacement.I can't find any stamps on it except for some real fuzzy numbers on the left side of the butt wich look to be 1499S. And fella's my wife will vouch for this...when it comes to my rifles I never throw anything away!

·
Registered
950 Posts
The fuzzy number is likely to be the number of the original rifle. M95's normally carried a four digit number followed by a suffix. On original matching M95's, the numbers were on the left side of the butt. Some were renumbered on the right. M95M stock were usually numbered just below the receiver serial number. However, some were numbered in pencil in the barrel channel (same for handguards). If you haven't taken it apart, you may be surprised.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
M95M = Mule

I shot the rifle today,just 5 rds that my Dad had loaded for my 43M and I must say that this rifle kicks like a dang mule! I've got to find a lighter load to plink with !

·
Registered
950 Posts
Technically an M95/24 though. Even tougher to find. Low-ish serial number?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
True, not a M95M. Serial number 2528. An older fellow I know would describe it as, "Just alike, only different". (Maybe he is related to Yogi Berra.) DDR

·
Registered
950 Posts
Very true. Is the stock numbered internally, externally, or both?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I apologize, Prez, regretably I cannot say. I haven't owned the rifle since May of this year. I did not take enough photos of it and my notes are incomplete. I know I took it apart for a thorough cleaning and safety inspection and I am mad at myself for not being more thorough. Usually I have too much detail in my notes! I don't recall it having any external serial number. DDR

1 - 19 of 19 Posts