Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
1903A4 Value

Hello Garygbnj. At one of the last shows I attended there was an 03A4 that had a $6,000 dollar price tag on it (In New Hampshire). That was about six months ago. The gun was in Mint condition. I hope this helps.

·
Copper Bullet member
987 Posts
Its been a little bit since CMP has had a sniper up for auction. About a year ago they were selling one on auction about every two weeks for around 5 to 6 thousand. I imagine this one will go for more.

I came close to winning a few of them but never committed to going the distance to win. Lost two different bids by $5.00

·
Gold Bullet member
14,391 Posts
There were several at the NGD show in Louisville, KY. Asking prices were $3500-4500. Non were especially nice and 2 had scopes other than M73b1 scopes, one Alaskan and one 330-s commercial scope. There was one which I did not price. The dealer that had it had good stuff and high prices. It sold as did the one with the Alaskan.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
marcus

thanks for the reply. I would like to acquire the odcmp piece. I do not want to over pay. Could you take a look at the odcmp site and get back to me as to what you think the max value is

thanks

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,021 Posts
Gary:

I think the rifle has a market value of about $4,000 but will probably bring at least $7,500 on the CMP auction. The CMP auctions bring prices that are about 1.5 to 2 times the market prices, especially on sniper items. It borders on the ridiculous at times.

Cass

·
Gold Bullet member
14,391 Posts
Gary:

I think the rifle has a market value of about $4,000 but will probably bring at least $7,500 on the CMP auction. The CMP auctions bring prices that are about 1.5 to 2 times the market prices, especially on sniper items. It borders on the ridiculous at times.

Cass
I agree with Cass. I have seen some totally ridiculous prices on the CMP auction site. I think paying more than about $5000 for a near new, not refurbed. untouched, beyond reproach A4 would be unwise. Anything lesser condition or questionable rifle is reduced in value accordingly.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Would you guys ascribe any additional premium to a Z series?
About 10% of the A4's were the "z" series which was the result of a numbering error. A3 production inadvertently overran into the s/n block reserved for A4's so the "z" was added to avoid duplication. This was an established procedure and occasionally A3's are also seen with a "Z" as part of the s/n.

Other than that there is nothing particularly special about them. I have accumulated s/n data on about 500~ A4's and of those about 10% are "z"'s (in other words they still exist or existed within the last few years).

A small premium, 5 or 10% may be justified.

·
Registered
750 Posts
odcmp auction has a 1903 a4 sniper with scope on auction. It is presently bid at about $3700. Could someone give me it's worth so I can place a bid.

thanks

gary
CMP Auctions tend to run much higher than Market. As of a few minutes ago the price was already over $5,000. With 11 days to go do not be surprised if the final price tops out at closer to $8 or $9. K. Maybe even more.

I beleive this is the first A4 they have had in over a year and from the limited description it appears fairly decent. The only thing in the description that doesn't quite compute is the "January 43 2 groove barrel". A rifle in the s/n range would more likely have been July 43 production. I suspect while its all correct its not completely original.

BTW if you go to the auction site and Select "Browse" - type "1903-A4" in the search box and select "completed" you can see all the completed CMP A4 auctions with prices and descriptions for the last few years.

The days when CMP had a large batch of these to dispose of are long gone and pricing from those days is no longer relevant.

Jim

·
Gold Bullet member
1,228 Posts
The CMP M1903A4 on auction closed this evening @$9,855.00.
All right, if any one has to have one I will sell one of mine for the same price! And then turn around and start looking for more to replace it with. I have one in almost mint condition that I only gave $2800 for last year and thought it high. The condition was the only reason I went that high.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Forgot to mention this same rifle was auctioned by the CMP a little over two years ago. Apparently that auction winner could not or would not complete the transaction. In the old auction, which can still be seen on the CMP website, there is a photograph of the barrel marking. It was in fact a July 43 barrel (correct) not the January 43 per the auction description.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1903a4 value

Real world value is $3100-$6000 for original non rebuild rifle with original M73B1 scope. Re-builds are about $500 dollars less on each end. Originality and condition are everything and very few rifles sell for more than $4500. The scope will have a large effect on the price. This does not include the CMP rifles which always sell for big bucks. The money goes to a very worthy orginization that sells a ton of great rifles to promote the sport.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.