Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I was given a stock from a 1903 springfield rifle that was to be destroyed (sad but it's the law). The man who gave it told me that the rifle had scope bases (original or copy I don't know) and he didn't note the SN of the rifle.

There are small "R" on various small parts (rear sling swivel, the two front swivels). There are various marks in front of the trigger guard assembly

Maybe some people will be able to tell me, was it A3 or A4 ? Or ther is no way to tell for sure.

thanks, Moblotaire

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
the Rs mean it was by made by REMINGTON. It very well might have been on a A4, as REMINGTON made 1903A4 sniper rifles, and this stock is a C stock which were put on A4s, but those stocks were also put on 1903A3 rifles as well. so there is no way to tell if come off a A4 or a A3

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
The stocks were manufactured to be utilized on the M1903 and M1903A3/A4 weapon systems, and are inletted for both. It is a shame that the rifle in question was destroyed.

·
Registered
450 Posts
As your stock is cut for the bolt handle, it once held a A4 sniper action. The A3 did not have the relief cut for the bolt handle.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,322 Posts
Why did it have to be destroyed again? It was an A4... stock inlet as RH Scott said. He should have kept the bolt and scope base (several $100 parts).

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello

- Bolt : same category as the rifle = could not be saved
- scope bases : the guy who saved the stock didn't think about them. I am still glad he saved the wood "To a given horse, you don't look at its teeth"
- E bay : I am not familiar with that thing. IF I decide to sell it I will surely go on the WTS - WTT forum. I usually sell on a "reverse" like auction (from up to down).

What would be a reasonable price for such a stock ?.

Thanks

Moblotaire

1 - 9 of 9 Posts