Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up this 1899 Tula M91 with all the original early features (flat sight, no sling slots, no stock lug, etc). All numbers are matching and it even has the original finish. All parts are marked with the Tula hammer including the cleaning rod. I have no idea how it has stayed in such great condition over the years. The bore is near mint as well. Not too bad for $300. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
exact figure as hard to say as not many in this orginal condition come up . But i would easily say north of 1500

·
Gold Bullet member
10,843 Posts
exact figure as hard to say as not many in this orginal condition come up . But i would easily say north of 1500
As a minimum I think you can double your estimate. In a contested auction closer to $5k.

Please note that my opinion is based on little more than gut instinct. I see others paying what I consider crazy money for guns not worth owning. I would be proud to call the OP’s Mosin my own.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
As a minimum I think you can double your estimate. In a contested auction closer to $5k.

Please note that my opinion is based on little more than gut instinct. I see others paying what I consider crazy money for guns not worth owning.
I agree, i wanted to be conservative in my estimate. As we both know, these are so rare in this condition that one can not easily estimate what the market will bare when one like this goes up for sale/ auction . Lets just say.. for $300 the OP is doing something right in life.

I would be proud to call the OP’s Mosin my own.
Yes, you would have to be dead not to...

·
Gold Bullet member
10,843 Posts
I agree, i wanted to be conservative in my estimate. As we both know, these are so rare in this condition that one can not easily estimate what the market will bare when one like this goes up for sale/ auction . Lets just say.. for $300 the OP is doing something right in life.

Yes, you would have to be dead not to...

I understand and did the same. I don’t want to post how much I really think this rifle could sell for in a good auction because it inevitably leads to unwarranted price inflation when seen by uneducated eyes.

·
Gold Bullet member
10,843 Posts
My God, I know where you got this, and I'm sick. Very nice find. Very nice.
Details please. The background stories can be fascinating.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Details please. The background stories can be fascinating.
Indeed. Where does one find this for $300? I'm guessing either uneducated gun shop or someone liquidating a collection that has no idea what they are doing.

Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A shop near me bought a collection. They were selling everything for $299. This was one of 7 Mosins I picked up, but by far the rarest. Honestly, I didn't even realize how good it was until I got it home.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
A shop near me bought a collection. They were selling everything for $299. This was one of 7 Mosins I picked up, but by far the rarest. Honestly, I didn't even realize how good it was until I got it home.
Well good for you! Lucky dog! Hopefully we'll see the other 6 as well, even if they aren't as rare as this rifle is. Whoever had this in their collection had good taste. I can't say I've ever seen an 1890's dated M91 with such a strong stock roundel either.

But, as is said far too often, this is a perfect example of why people need to properly label and catalogue your collection if you want to ensure someone down the line gets the proper value for your rifles down the line. Otherwise a lucky guy like Dwbittner is going to get an original matching 1899 Tula for $4,000+ dollars less than it's worth.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Here are 5 of the others I picked up. The 6th (not in the picture) was a 1917 Remington Finnish capture.
Wow! I was lucky enough to find a large grouping of Finn's for sale last year but yours blows the one I found out of the water OP. That's literally the stuff of dreams for many of us, thanks for sharing.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
17,709 Posts
To me, that is one of the most collectible M91 rifles ever presented on this forum, even though the buttplate was aggressively cleaned at some point. Please don't ever change any of the finish on it!!!!!

It blows away my 1898 original matching Tula.

And honestly, all estimates for value given thus far are extremely conservative. With the right exposure at a national auction, it could break the internet.

·
Oak Leaves with Clusters Member
3,459 Posts
I am stunned; what a wonderful Mosin.

It chills me to think what would have happened if bubba grabbed it for a hunting gun and decided to fix it up.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts