Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this up this past week, after not having an M/91 in the collection for a couple of years. This is my 1898 Tula M/91 that is Finnish property stamped, with two SA stamps, and sits in an uncommon 3 piece Finnish M/91 stock. This one came with a nice Finnish leather sling, and Finnish sling hangers that I think compliment it well. It still has its original 1898 Tula receiver and seems to have the usual mix of Russian M/91 parts and also has the earlier type 1 barrel bands. I think it's kind of cool that this has a numbered cocking piece (although not matching to the rifle), and it has the usual M/91 buttplate numbering about halfway down that I've seen on many M/91s previously. I think it's a nice example of an antique M/91 and it's in pretty decent shape overall with a nice bore that has a mild counterbore. I didn't see any import marks which is always a plus. I'm happy to be part of the "1800's club" once again.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing. My oldest milsurp is also an 1898 M91 from the arsenal of Peter The Great. Mine only had the dog collars in the stock, no sling. From the looks of them perhaps from whenever the rifle last saw service. Mine has the Russian stock but does have the SA stamp on the metal. The rifle was counter bored but shoots very well. I picked it up at Roses some 25 years ago. The M91 is my favorite of the Mosin Nagant rifles.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Cool gun, looks like it’ll still spin a bullet just fine. You appear to be missing the little screws they retain the barrel bands on the front that screw into the wood. They’ll creep forward from recoil without the little jamb screws.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, thanks for sharing. My oldest milsurp is also an 1898 M91 from the arsenal of Peter The Great. Mine only had the dog collars in the stock, no sling. From the looks of them perhaps from whenever the rifle last saw service. Mine has the Russian stock but does have the SA stamp on the metal. The rifle was counter bored but shoots very well. I picked it up at Roses some 25 years ago. The M91 is my favorite of the Mosin Nagant rifles.
There's a special place in my heart for M/91's. That's for sure.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic pictures! Nice rifle, bore looks great, too. My "1800s Club" is a 1884 Sestroryetsk Berdan II. And maybe some others, I'd have to go and look haha.
Thanks! For its age, the bore is pretty nice and still has some shine left to it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cool gun, looks like it’ll still spin a bullet just fine. You appear to be missing the little screws they retain the barrel bands on the front that screw into the wood. They’ll creep forward from recoil without the little jamb screws.
Correct, it is missing the one for the front band, but as long as the band is tight, it should stay in place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.