Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Was given a 1898 src in 25-35 today, it’s missing both stocks and magazine tube, spring and cap , I have everything else, anyone know of a source for these parts ? Also was the 25-35 and the 30-30 mag tube the same size
Thanks
Hope someone can help

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
98,115 Posts
Stocks, mag tube and spring and cap will be the same as for 30-30, and any of the usual suspects can provide replacements. Seems like carrier is unique (maybe 25-35 and .219 Zipper may be the same).

·
Gold Bullet member
1,599 Posts
Stocks, mag tube and spring and cap will be the same as for 30-30, and any of the usual suspects can provide replacements. Seems like carrier is unique (maybe 25-35 and .219 Zipper may be the same).
I know the Marlin 336 was once factory chambered for the 219 Zipper but did not know the Model 94 was also in that caliber.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
No factory production Model 94 in .219 Zipper! Model 64, the PG lever rifle model equivalent was available. The Model 94 in 25-35 way more common than the Model 64 in .219, for sure!
Marlin made the 336 in .219 Zipper for a few years in latter fifties-early sixties. Not great sellers! I have one and it's said that the chambering didn't like "microgroove" rifling at all! Believe Marlin reverted to Ballard rifling, but too late.
Good luck with your 'find'!
Best!
John

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Numrich aka Gun Parts Corp has lots of winchester parts. New made stocks. Would suggest getting a new mag tube and spring not using an original/used part.
Post a pic when you get it up and shooting !
25-35 WCF is a gentle cartridge and can give good results( out of good barrel)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Best place to find is eBay or Gunbroker ,sometimes Homestead Parts. You can buy an original tube and parts .Be patient .

A lot of rifles have been parted out lately ,plenty of original parts out there.

All 1894 carbines use same mag tube and they are same tubes used on 1892. 44WCF /38 WCF.

·
Registered
5,137 Posts
Best place to find is eBay or Gunbroker ,sometimes Homestead Parts. You can buy an original tube and parts .Be patient .

A lot of rifles have been parted out lately ,plenty of original parts out there.

All 1894 carbines use same mag tube and they are same tubes used on 1892. 44WCF /38 WCF.

Interesting to know! Never conjured the 38 & 44 WCF rim diameter close to the 30 WCF, et al.
Thanks for the insight!
Best!
John

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Winchester was king of thriftiness ,anywhere they could use same tools,dies,parts they did.

The 1892 and 1894 share many of the same parts/specs.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The carbine stocks are hard to find in good shape ,best to buy 95% inlet from Precision Gunstocks or few other companies that make them.Most of the replacement stock I've used were from them .They can be made to look exactly like original and are really close on in letting allowing perfect fit by hand scraping.

SRC buttplate are hard to find original ,repos are available.

The follower and spring will work from any 1894/94 or any large cal 1892 carbines.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The carbine stocks are hard to find in good shape ,best to buy 95% inlet from Precision Gunstocks or few other companies that make them.Most of the replacement stock I've used were from them .They can be made to look exactly like original and are really close on in letting allowing perfect fit by hand scraping.

SRC buttplate are hard to find original ,repos are available.

The follower and spring will work from any 1894/94 or any large cal 1892 carbines.
I do have the original buttplate and ordered the forearm and buttstock from gunstocks inc.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Those stocks look like a decent value , if you want to give them a dark antique look I recommend R.Gale Lock Antique walnut alcohol stain . Its dark rich brown color that will help achieve a look Similier to original well aged wood.
I often use John Kay's Winchester oil thinned or Pilkingtons Red Brown linseed rubbing oil over the Gale Lock stain .
You can match about any look with varying these.

Once you get it all done ,put some honest use on it !!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the info ironworker, I just ordered the three remaining parts I need, mag tube, spring and plug. Gun seems to function fine and the bore is very nice!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Here are three of my favorite finishes , any combination of these I can match about any look Winchester had during 1894 production.
John Kay retired but sold his finish recipe to a guy that still sells it.
Originally he said it was the recipe used on custom guns from custom shop . like model 21 .

I have a pre war carbine that has mint condition wood ,retaining pretty much all of its finish and not aged . The finish is satin in the wood with just a hint of sheen .but wood grain is mostly open .

Phil Pilkington Red Brown linseed stock rubbing oil and Red Brown classic gun stock finish from Brownells is also good for replacement wood to give an original look.

These finishes is what I always use when replacing wood stocks.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts