Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I recently stumbled upon the opportunity to own the scarce 1898 Krag Saddle Ring Carbine, but I have my doubts about a couple of things. I have done lots of research the past week and learned as much as I can about the 1898 SRC.

What I believe to be correct:

The stock, short forend, saddle ring and cartouche “JSA 1898”

The top handguard with “hump”

The rear sight with stamped C. I know there should be a C on the base which is hidden by the handguard in the pictures. Might have to have the gentleman remove the sight to confirm

The front barrel band with sight protectors

What I believe is incorrect:

The big red flag is the serial number 134,317 which is just slightly out of the accepted range for the 1898 SRC of 118,894 to 134,256. I understand that there have been Springfield Research Service hits with higher serial number 1898 SRCs

The front sight blade which seems to be a bit shorter in height than compared known 1898 SRCs

Any additional information and opinions from the experts in the Krag realm! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
850 Posts
'astack18' - All the parts look good. This one's legitimacy will always be questioned by some collectors,
because the serial number is a bit above the generally expected # range.

BTW - The model 1896 & model 1898 carbine front-sight Blade, (when removed from base), measures about .265" tall.
Blade is marked low, on left-side with "C". ("C" is generally hidden by base).

·
Registered
264 Posts
Parts and configuration look correct, serial no. slightly high but not out of reach. Could be real or might not unfortunately can't be sure with out documentation. Nice looking piece though I would not pay a premium for it but I would be interested.

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator/Administrator/
27,668 Posts
I had one just like this, and was convinced against my will to sell it as the two well heeled collectors said it was wrong. I traded for a Mk1 Springfield 03'. Wish I had kept the thing.
If it looks good to you and has the right patina, I'd keep it and let the naysayers have their day. It looks fine to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.