Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I dont know either but the barrel is marked "FULL".
To me that might indicate that it once was a much longer barrel.
Unless it really is a short barrel full choke, might want to measure it.
Another alternative would be to contact the historical society for the RR and see if they have any records of such purchases or conversions.
After all, they maintained steam locomotives, lopping a barrel off and finishing it off would be a nothing job to them.
Do you already own it or are you contemplating the purchase?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont know either but the barrel is marked "FULL".
To me that might indicate that it once was a much longer barrel.
Unless it really is a short barrel full choke, might want to measure it.
Another alternative would be to contact the historical society for the RR and see if they have any records of such purchases or conversions.
After all, they maintained steam locomotives, lopping a barrel off and finishing it off would be a nothing job to them.
Do you already own it or are you contemplating the purchase?
I have owned it for years as is, It’s a riot gun and had 1.5inches taken off what was a 20inch barrel. I got it from my uncle who worked for UPRR as a federal Officer. He passed July 1 so I thought I would try looking it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hard to argue wth that kind of family provenance, would not try.
Still, would be nice to know if it was a system wide thing or a "one of".
Yes it would be nice. Either way it’s getting mounted on the wall with his badge along with any other information I might find on it.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,535 Posts
I would check around with maybe Cody Museum or whoever has the Winchester collection to see if they or maybe the UP has one in their collection. It is in really nice shape. I do question the stampings to me it looks newer than I would of expected? But have nothing to substantiate those thoughts. I do not know how many UP marked firearms remain. I would of thought it would be in rougher condition but then again it probably sat most its life with very little use. Almost need an expert appraisal to be sure. Family providence is not always as accurate as we would like it to be. Not trying to play this down, but if this is legit it is one fine pc for anybodies collection. Every now and then you get "grandpas bring back" that was inherited and it has import stamps on it. Truth can get turned around in time. Hopefully not in this case. I am a RR guy so this is awesome if actual. Thanks for sharing it. Regards, John.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would check around with maybe Cody Museum or whoever has the Winchester collection to see if they or maybe the UP has one in their collection. It is in really nice shape. I do question the stampings to me it looks newer than I would of expected? But have nothing to substantiate those thoughts. I do not know how many UP marked firearms remain. I would of thought it would be in rougher condition but then again it probably sat most its life with very little use. Almost need an expert appraisal to be sure. Family providence is not always as accurate as we would like it to be. Not trying to play this down, but if this is legit it is one fine pc for anybodies collection. Every now and then you get "grandpas bring back" that was inherited and it has import stamps on it. Truth can get turned around in time. Hopefully not in this case. I am a RR guy so this is awesome if actual. Thanks for sharing it. Regards, John.
Very true! As a story gets told it always changes a bit each time. Someone in the past has cleaned it up. If you look closer you can see buffing marks. I used a toothbrush to scrub off a few rusty spots because of leather holster it was in. Either way, like you said it was family so it still has meaning so it will hang with his badge on the wall.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Indeed, yes, hang it with his badge.
Do a bit of Google-Fu as well, see if you can find an old stock certificate or other railroad stuff to put with it.
Can't hurt and will make a very nice display.......

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I think it's cool as can be without knowing anything at all more about it but, the family angle is a deal maker in this case. Yes indeed, research every path offered to you. Expand on every little crumb of info you already possess. Folks in charge of such things are much more open to historical minutiae requests these days. His work history's timeframe with the RR, the RR records, Winchester/Cody, etc etc. Work it all and see what flushes out of the high grass. Likely just a regular guy like all the other regular guys doing a dusty, boring job but ya never know. He's your kin after all so why not do it up right for the part of the family that might actually give a damn you know?
Railroad stuff, for me anyway, is like an addictive substance and I willingly leap into the rabbit hole with Alice. Most recently a video of CN units plowing snow led into snow plowing by all the other lines, pics, etc........ So yah.. Well anyway, good hunting.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Indeed, yes, hang it with his badge.
Do a bit of Google-Fu as well, see if you can find an old stock certificate or other railroad stuff to put with it.
Can't hurt and will make a very nice display.......
We have a RR museum here in town, thought I might go see what the can tell me.
I think it's cool as can be without knowing anything at all more about it but, the family angle is a deal maker in this case. Yes indeed, research every path offered to you. Expand on every little crumb of info you already possess. Folks in charge of such things are much more open to historical minutiae requests these days. His work history's timeframe with the RR, the RR records, Winchester/Cody, etc etc. Work it all and see what flushes out of the high grass. Likely just a regular guy like all the other regular guys doing a dusty, boring job but ya never know. He's your kin after all so why not do it up right for the part of the family that might actually give a damn you know?
Railroad stuff, for me anyway, is like an addictive substance and I willingly leap into the rabbit hole with Alice. Most recently a video of CN units plowing snow led into snow plowing by all the other lines, pics, etc........ So yah.. Well anyway, good hunting.
thanks! I’m definitely trying and taking all the pieces I can. It shoots beautiful but I have a older 1897 with fixed barrel for shooting so this will be in a shadow box with everything I can find.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
I used to get paper catalogs from a place called "Historical Rail", they often had stock certificates and other bits of paper stuff, tickets and whatnot.
Real or repro I could not say, nor can I recall anything from the U.P., but, then again, I wasn't really paying much attention to such stuff.
By that point my railroad mania had faded to a casual interest...........

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
A place called APMEX, has U.P. certificates for about $10.
No affiliation, just a 30 second Google-Fu..........
No idea as to vintage or any other details.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I used to get paper catalogs from a place called "Historical Rail", they often had stock certificates and other bits of paper stuff, tickets and whatnot.
Real or repro I could not say, nor can I recall anything from the U.P., but, then again, I wasn't really paying much attention to such stuff.
By that point my railroad mania had faded to a casual interest...........
Be another place to look! Thanks!

·
Silver Bullet member
33,943 Posts
Not sure where you are but there is a railroad show in Gaithersburg MD first weekend in November

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dr Pew

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A place called APMEX, has U.P. certificates for about $10.
No affiliation, just a 30 second Google-Fu..........
No idea as to vintage or any other details.
That sounds cool to look at. Always willing to see even all I can. Thanks!

·
Silver Bullet member
1,378 Posts
I collect UP artifacts as well as guns, and I have seen a number of shotguns over the years marked for railroads and express companies. It very well may be a UP police shotgun. The UP still has a very active police force and they need it badly in some areas. The early part of the 20th century saw a lot of labor issues, as well as problems with the coal mines owned by the railroads. Police and "special agents" were active and armed. Some railroads (the Delaware and Hudson) had machine guns. WW1 and WW2 even saw guards on bridges, though they often were military. Looks legit to me. Nice find.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I collect UP artifacts as well as guns, and I have seen a number of shotguns over the years marked for railroads and express companies. It very well may be a UP police shotgun. The UP still has a very active police force and they need it badly in some areas. The early part of the 20th century saw a lot of labor issues, as well as problems with the coal mines owned by the railroads. Police and "special agents" were active and armed. Some railroads (the Delaware and Hudson) had machine guns. WW1 and WW2 even saw guards on bridges, though they often were military. Looks legit to me. Nice find.
Thanks! That is a very positive post and makes me more excited as I investigate further!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts