Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Hopefully the pictures will work this time!)

1896 Tula. Issued by the Russians, lost to the Austro Hungarians (AZF stamp and sling swivels) then eventually obtained by the Finns (SA stamped). Owned by a civvy in Germany then shipped to me in the UK.

Wanted an early M91 for some time now and this one fits the bill nicely. No cross bolt, no escutcheons and no doubt carried by many. I'm guessing the wear marks on the magazine are from a swivel that used to be there? Can't quite make out the date on the stock cartouche.

Don't think I've missed anything but no doubt sharper brains may spot something!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
Yes, the wear marks are from the magazine swivel no longer present.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all.

To be honest owning multiple bolt actions over here isn't a problem at all. I also picked up a mint B barrel M39 at the same time as the M91 which I'll post some pictures of tomorrow.

Nope, the real problem that I have at this very minute is the E-mail that I received ten minutes ago (with pictures) from someone who has a 28/57, 27/66 and a 28/76. The last two might be for sale. I may have fallen in love with the '66!

·
Premium Member
105,711 Posts
The 28/57 and the 28/66 are rare birds for sure. The stocks are pieces of artwork. I love military target rifles.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The seeds maybe Russian Thistle!!!!! lol Here we call it tumble weed. My daughter in law's family in Montana is credited with actually bringing the first Russian Thistle to America in some wheat seed brought across from Southern Russia in the mid 1800s.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Oh very nice. Congrats on an awesome find there for sure. Nice to have a stock with early features on it. Very cool the sling hangers are still there as well. A nice early dated M91. Love the early dated M91s!!

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,754 Posts
Oh very nice. Congrats on an awesome find there for sure. Nice to have a stock with early features on it. Very cool the sling SWIVELS are still there as well. A nice early dated M91. Love the early dated M91s!!
SWIVELS! ...... Show me an arsenal or ordnance drawing that says sling HANGERS and I'll remove this from my list of pet peeves!

When I eventually sell my Collection, not a single rifle will go to anyone who uses the term "hangers" unless it refers to the local dry cleaner.

JPS

·
Registered
380 Posts
Very nice rifle.

I am especially intrigued by the wooden cross-bolts. Last I read, these were in use for only some part of 1909. What is the latest thinking on the time period that wooden cross-bolts have been in use, and how many rifles might have been fitted / retro-fitted with wooden cross-bolts?

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Very nice, that's a sweet looking rifle!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
SWIVELS! ...... Show me an arsenal or ordnance drawing that says sling HANGERS and I'll remove this from my list of pet peeves!

When I eventually sell my Collection, not a single rifle will go to anyone who uses the term "hangers" unless it refers to the local dry cleaner.

JPS
They just hang there. Sure they may move back and forth, but when I hear swivel, I think of something that has the ability to turn 360 degrees as well as swing back and forth. Not just moving back and forth forwards and backwards.

However, to secure future sales, I will revert to using a term something like "apparatus the sling attaches to" to be as neutral as possible and not hit any peeve buttons :D

·
Registered
312 Posts
That one just oozes history...great find. I hope you'll post pics of the Finn target rifles in a future post. I've got 2 of the 28/76's, but have never seen either of the other two, much less had an opportunity to purchase one.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Saw a 28/76 recently go on the broker. It was on my watch list. I would love to have one some day. But if I found a sweet M91 like this one, it would certainly take precedence. Nicely done, Blighty.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts