Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Because the ’95 was produced on two assembly lines, the letters A and B beside serial numbers denoted which line assembled that particular rifle in case replaced parts were ordered and what basic changes were in the magazine springs and firing pin retractors.
George Madis, The Winchester Book Page 451

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,574 Posts
Because the ’95 was produced on two assembly lines, the letters A and B beside serial numbers denoted which line assembled that particular rifle in case replaced parts were ordered and what basic changes were in the magazine springs and firing pin retractors.
George Madis, The Winchester Book Page 451
There you are. George Madis is quite good on those sorts/parts of the Winchester story, if (it has been determined by research into records not apparently available to Mr. Madis when he was working) not quite so reliable on Dates of Manufacture.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Sharp rifle OP. Something is just alluring to me about a lever gun with an internal box magazine. I’ve been on a kick looking for a Russian contract 95 to go with the WWI collection. Always end up losing on GB when the listing gets drug out during 15 minute rule.
I feel your pain re: GB auctions. I tried for months to buy a decent 30 M1 Carbine on GB. I set my limit when I make a find and adhere to it. I refuse to get caught up in "auction fever". I ended up buying one from a fellow CMP forum member.
I recently scored big on a sweet Model 12 Winchester in 16 gauge. $190 shipping and fees to my door (I'm a C&R licensee). If I could only find affordable ammo or reloading components for it. People are out of their minds crazy on asking prices still.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I feel your pain re: GB auctions. I tried for months to buy a decent 30 M1 Carbine on GB. I set my limit when I make a find and adhere to it. I refuse to get caught up in "auction fever". I ended up buying one from a fellow CMP forum member.
I recently scored big on a sweet Model 12 Winchester in 16 gauge. $190 shipping and fees to my door (I'm a C&R licensee). If I could only find affordable ammo or reloading components for it. People are out of their minds crazy on asking prices still.
I think what annoys me the most is… I have the cash. Been saving up for years to fund this rifle and the last two auctions were drug out for an hour plus. If I ever see one just “for sale” I’m snatching it up.

·
100,574 Posts
You want a lever gun with an internal box magazine? Get a Savage Model 99. Best are the ones with the rotary magazine, but the alter ones with a removable box magazine are fine, just not quite as neat as the rotary guns (JMO). Won't, in nice condition, be cheap, but oh so nice and slick to use.

·
Registered
38 Posts
You want a lever gun with an internal box magazine? Get a Savage Model 99. Best are the ones with the rotary magazine, but the alter ones with a removable box magazine are fine, just not quite as neat as the rotary guns (JMO). Won't, in nice condition, be cheap, but oh so nice and slick to use.
I had thought about one of those as well, something about the allure of history for Russian 95s and the caliber (im a big 54r guy, have boat loads of light and heavy ball) is very appealing to me.

·
100,574 Posts
I had thought about one of those as well, something about the allure of history for Russian 95s and the caliber (im a big 54r guy, have boat loads of light and heavy ball) is very appealing to me.
That's fine, you are the one shelling out for the gun and using it. After having done some shooting with an 1895, and the 99 - well, i have a 99 in 250 Savage....

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
I owned both a 95 like the OPs and a 99 Savage in 250,and I wouldnt say I was overly impressed with either .....Id still have them if I was.......I sold the 95 to a collector for what I had in it $400 (a lot in the 1970s)......I actually bought two ,one was sent back because it apparently had a "handyman" butt replacement ...the buttplate was upside down!

·
100,574 Posts
Wonderful rifle, should be sweet and soft shooting with those 30-40's. Lucky dog.
Sweet shooting, probably. Soft? I'd guess, probably, not. Every 95 with a rifle butt-plate (Steel crescent) chambered in 30-40 I have fired has been pretty hard on the shooting shoulder. Though I shot a 95 in .405 Win (like Teddy R.'s "Big Medicine") and compared to that, one in 30-40 is a *****-cat.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Any new result from the range, Steve-OH ? :) ;)

We really wonder.. . Such a rare caliber... And rare rifle, of course, too... . (y)
No sir. Smack dab in the middle of Honey Bee busy season grafting queens building up the Bee yard and collecting Honey. Hopefully things will settle down here next month and I'll get some quality range time in.

·
100,574 Posts
That is a heck of a buy on the 16-ga Model 12. Got a next door neighbor when we were in Texas City who had an 1897 in 16-ga. Ammo readily available then. I'd like an 1897, a Model 12, an Ithaca Model 37 and a Browning Sweet 16 all in 16-ga. Not that I could do much with them beyond fondle them these days...

21 - 40 of 48 Posts