Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Maybe...start out with long bullet 220's like factory. 180 to 220's, what you can find. Cylindrical. Moderate velocities. Maybe lead cast dependant on bore condition. Havent loaded a Krag in decades. Mine werent exactly new.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I had one identical to it years ago, bore was dark when I got it, but cleaned up fine and was one of the best shooting rifles I ever had. Never did load for it. Congrats on your find, I always liked 95's, still have a src in 30/40.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I had one the same....it came from Universal Studios clearing auction,i was told by the dealer I got it off........also claimed it was called a Saddle Carbine,despite it had a 24" barrel..........anyhoo,bore was worn and pitted with fine pitting,and since 30/40 was not common here ,I used 303 ammo,with the shoulder pushed back 1/8" in an 8mm die.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had one the same....it came from Universal Studios clearing auction,i was told by the dealer I got it off........also claimed it was called a Saddle Carbine,despite it had a 24" barrel..........anyhoo,bore was worn and pitted with fine pitting,and since 30/40 was not common here ,I used 303 ammo,with the shoulder pushed back 1/8" in an 8mm die.
Did it have a saddle ring on the side of it's receiver?

105 Posts
Congratulation to that M95 Win. ;) That looks great ! I estimate this Model very much, too. Since 1995.

Wildgoose is right. Such old barrels can have pitting and are despite this still capable of acceptable shooting.
I have also two Veteranes with originally dirty, dark barrels. And pitting.. .The intensive cleaning was worth this effort.

A bullet of 220 grs makes most sense, yes.
Good success, Steve-OH :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It showed up a couple hours ago. Muzzle sticking out of the box with a nice nick on the outside edge of the muzzle. Crown looks ok. Second gun I've received in the past week not packed properly. Both from licensed FFL dealers that you'd think would know better.
The barrel is 28", chambered in 30 US (30/40 Krag). It looks to me to be an all original rifle. Ser # 69873 puts manufacture date towards the end of 1913.
There's some minor pitting in the bore but rifling looks strong. I ran a couple patches through the bore and cleaned the chamber, then loaded up a few rounds of 147 grn. fmj. 41 gr of Varget (starting load Lyman handbook).
Shot this pictured target at 50 yards.
It ran the 3 rounds with no issues. I'm anxious to pick up some 180 gr spitzers and try those with a ladder test. I plan on staying well below max charge listed in my load book for this old girl. Very happy with it so far.
Almost forgot, under side of the lever is electro penciled P057250. Also directly under the Ser # on the tang is stamped with a B. Anyone know anything about that? More pics to follow.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
103,420 Posts
Not sure what the B means in terms of exactly what change on the production line it implicates, but Winchester, when it made a change it deemed significant on a rifle, it put a letter near the S/N. Need one of the Krag bibles to know what it means in terms of what was changed and how. Example - you will find 1873s with just a serial, others with an "A", others with a "B" and then some with a "C". I once knew what those implicated, but no longer in accessible memory I fear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure what the B means in terms of exactly what change on the production line it implicates, but Winchester, when it made a change it deemed significant on a rifle, it put a letter near the S/N. Need one of the Krag bibles to know what it means in terms of what was changed and how. Example - you will find 1873s with just a serial, others with an "A", others with a "B" and then some with a "C". I once knew what those implicated, but no longer in accessible memory I fear.
Wonder if it had to do with the scalloped receiver? Can't remember when that happened. I'll have to do some back research.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts