Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tough to find 1895 Winchester contract bayonet here for the Russians. The story that's been told the first 1500 hundred rifles that were shipped also came with this short bayonet. The Russian didn't like them and than from than on out they were supplied with the longer bladed bayonet. The short version here is the only one I have ever seen. And due to it's great condition I don't think it ever left the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Looks like a US frog system? the 15000 Russian short blade bayonets or more, should have a 15,5mm barell ring when i am correct. Scabbard could be M1895 Lee Navy or a M1899?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Both scabbard & bayonet are right as rain and the bayonet fits nicely on a Russian 1895 contract rifle.
Thats ok, the M1899 or M1895 have similar shaped blade, but where You put a belt on the leather part of scabbard??, as mentioned i believe the part is for US belt system, not used in russian contract.
I found a picture on russian Askalon forum, so i hope they will by not angry with me, that i use it here as i dont have the Winchester M1895 bayonet personally. the frog is same as on M1895 Winchester long and the scabbard is sheet metall.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
So the scabbard is not a russian delivery contract, maybe made for US so was made for US belt system, or its a LEE 1895 scabbard.The US expert should help on it.b.r.Andy

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
in his 5.post is it already described
"Both scabbard & bayonet are right as rain and the bayonet fits nicely on a Russian 1895 contract rifle. "
so i assume normal 15,5-16mm MRD.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Enclosed are pictures of two more 1895 Winchester Russian contract bayonets that were picked up a number of years ago I think one was bought for $75 & the other for $100. Looks like the price has gone up on even the long version. And yes the muzzle rings are 16mm diameter.

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Orcutt,
It is clear that you have an 1895 Winchester bayonet, since it fits your Winchester rifle. The question arises when we discuss the contract which secured your bayonet. The scabbard is the biggest clue. I agree with AndyB that the Russian contract should have a steel scabbard. I have one 1895 Remington Lee Navy bayonet which came with a fair condition scabbard. Later, I was able to buy a very nice scabbard for the bayonet. Both scabbards are like yours. The nice one has the "T" in a Triangle which is a US proof mark for an Ensign Twining. (I think). According to Gary Cunningham, 10,000 Winchester rifles (and bayonets) were contracted by the US. One hundred were sent to the Philippines for trial which was not successful. The remaining 9,900 were sold to M. Hartley Company and were sold to Cuba in 1906. Yours could be one of these 10,000. Here's some pictures of known US 1895 scabbards. Both scabbards are missing the wire belt hook.
Marv

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Hello Gents,

Nice find on the bayonet no matter the contract. There is no question that the Russian scabbards, both long and short were steel, not leather with metal furniture per the photo that Misfit posted. The photo Andy borrowed from the Russian website is indeed a correct example from an early shipment of the Russian contract M1895s.

Still a very nice bayonet!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Part of my inner circle of collector friends are some very hard core Winchester fanatics, and they prefer the 1895 Lee Navy bayonet over the Russian contract. So it's a win, win situation no matter what you have.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The bayonet you show is an 1895 Lee Navy with the "T" in a triangle proof mark for Ensign N.C Twining who, by one book I have, inspected the first 10,000 rifles and bayonets. The attachment on your bayonet does not look different to me.
Marv

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.