Platinum Bullet Member
3,767 Posts
Sestroryetsk. Produced m91's between 1892 and 1918

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

I will post some more pictures next week but obviously it has had a few later mods if not complete relacement wood.

It has the bolt through the stock and the reccess for the fingers which I assume it should not have at this date.

It also has the slots through the stock for the sling and filled in holes where I assume the Finnish pattern of sling swivels were fitted.

The bolt also has no Imperial markings so I assume a latter fit.

Will a standard WW2 Bayonet fit or do I need an earlier pattern? Are WW1 pattern bayonets easy to find or difficult?

·
Copper Bullet member
1,739 Posts
Thanks for the info.

I will post some more pictures next week but obviously it has had a few later mods if not complete relacement wood.

It has the bolt through the stock and the reccess for the fingers which I assume it should not have at this date.

It also has the slots through the stock for the sling and filled in holes where I assume the Finnish pattern of sling swivels were fitted.

The bolt also has no Imperial markings so I assume a latter fit.

Will a standard WW2 Bayonet fit or do I need an earlier pattern? Are WW1 pattern bayonets easy to find or difficult?
Early m/91s with later features are the rule rather than the norm. It is still a desireable rifle even with replacement parts (though it makes it a $250 rifle rather than a $1200 rifle). The lock-ring m/91 bayonets are not hard to find and usually run $80-$100. Finding a Setroryetsk marked one might be a trick. ;)

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Does the presence of holes drilled through my stock to take wire hangers presumably similar to those pictured here denote use by another country or is this a Finnish Mod?

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinFeatures06.htm

Also does anyone make reproduction or sell first pattern swing swivels so I can convert my weapon back to its original configuration?
Look at the rear sight base. If the arshin measurements are struck out and metric measurements are added, then you are looking at Finn M91.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Agreed but after the First World War the Finns presumably purchased/aquired Mosin Nagants from many sources including potentialy the countries of the old Austro-Hungarian empire.

I was just trying to clarify if it was also a Finnish mod to drill holes in stocks for sling swivels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.