Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an 1895 SRC Carbine in .303. I always wanted one, just couldn't afford one, well yesterdays was my lucky day. I got one for little better than a song, which has admittedly seen better days, barrel is still full of cobwebs and old oil but hey even if a complete write off the price was worth the risk.

1. This may seem pretty elementary and stupid, but I've never had an 1895 before yesterday, and I can't find where the S/N is. I heard it was on the lower tang beneath the loop. Thing is this part of the rifle has a number of what appear to be factory screws, very little wear and no indications on any numbers ever being present. Pretty much all the markings I can see are worn off the faces of the receiver, so maybe it's just worn away. Are they numbered anywhere else too?

2. What are the approximate ranges of the rear sight on the carbine?

3. Any suggestions for places to acquire replacement parts? (upper hand guard, ring and base, and a new butt would be nice too)

Gary

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,050 Posts
Mine are under the loop running crossways across the lower tang. I noticed one selling on gunbroker a few weeks back for $1000.00.
It looked nice, I was going to watch it but it slipped my mind.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK evidently this receiver was scrubbed at some point in history. There is some slight marring in that location but nothing identifiable as a S/N (or even resembling a number if any sort). Markings are all present on the bbl, but perhaps they were obscured by the hand guard at the time. I will post some pics later and hope some one can help date this rifle to some extent. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good morning
Yep these are fine rifles.. Mine is in 30 Gov.. but some were neglected over the years.
If your action remains a bit stiff after cleaning reassemble the moving pieces one at a time until t you find where the drag is. You may discover one of the lower receiver flages that extend down was bumped hard. In ternal drags cane be slicked up with toothpaste applied and cycled numerous times.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Missionary: the rifle cycles just fine, but it doesn't want to feed all the rounds up, so I'll have to work that out , but thanks for the tip.

As for help putting a date to this rifle here are some pics. Let me know if something more specific would be helpful.
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Gun Firearm Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Gun Revolver Air gun Shotgun
Gun Trigger Revolver Air gun
Scabbard
Trigger Wood Metal

the only discernible marking left on the entire receiver (including the upper tang) is this little number 52.

Thanks guys hope you can help

·
Registered
175 Posts
Gary,

With the caliber marking being on the side of the barrel (just visible in your second photo), your carbine most likely would date from 1910 or later. Prior to this the caliber was marked on the top of the barrel. In your photos there are two screws at the lower front edge of the receiver. The forward screw is the Carrier Screw, and the second one is the Magazine Tip Screw. Look at the same area on the right side of the receiver. The other end of the Carrier Screw will be visible, as it passes entirely through the receiver. Prior to about 1915/1916, only one Magazine Tip Screw was used. After this time, a second Magazine Tip Screw was added to the right side of the receiver, directly opposite to the one on the left side.

If the caliber is simply "303 BRITISH", then that puts the date before about 1920/1921. If it looks more like "-303 BRITISH, then it would date after this.

So:
Caliber on the side of the barrel definitely places manufacture after 1910.
One Magazine Tip Screw would place it before 1916, and two would place it after 1916.
No 'dash' before the caliber would place manufacture prior to 1920, and if present would place it after.

The '52' is an inspector's mark.

Hope this helps.
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts