Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Chilean Carbine and would like to know what the large ring on the rear sling connector was used for. I've read that it might have been used to "anchor" the rifle to the soldier to keep it from flopping around while on horseback which could make sense. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The ring was use to fasten the rifle to the soldier.

The soldier wore a strap across the body from shoulder to belt. There was a hook fastener on the strap that attached to the ring. Among other things, this allowed the soldier to drop the rifle and use two hands to control the horse if it panicked and it also kept the soldier from watching his horse run off, carrying his weapon, in the event he was thrown. The US cavalry used the 1885 strap for the last years of the Springfield carbines and the early Krag carbines. With the 1899 Krag carbine and the later 1903 rifles, the US army abandoned the sling ring. The Chilean army still uses horses and mules for transportation in the Andes but the Carbineros that I have seen down there recently all have carried pistols. Attached is a picture of the US 1885 strap from a website on calvary equipment.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts