Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a 7mm Mauser 1895 Chilean Carbine to add to my collection of the Long Rifle and the Short Rifle. The rifle does not have a cleaning rod coming with it and I need to know what size cleaning rod I need to be on the look out for. In reviewing Ball's Mauser Military Rifles of the World (4th Edition), I saw that the Carbine in the book was from the John Wall collection. I'm hoping that John or someone else knowledgeable of the Carbine can provide an answer on the length of a cleaning rod for it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Unless the carbine rod is for some reason smaller in diameter( I don't have a carbine.), you can just screw in the cleaning rod from one of your longer 1895's, mark it with tape at the appropriate place under the muzzel and then remove it and measure it. This is simpler than taking the rifle apart to see where the little metal piece the rod threads into was inserted from the barrel channel and measuring from there.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi MH and Icmunn,
I agree with Icmunn. Measure the length of the carbine's cleaning rod channel as suggested and then try and find a rod of this approximate length at Springfield Sporters, Numerich or SARCO. I'd measure mine for you, but it's buried in the attic. If I run across it, I'll post the length....but don't wait on this to order one.
Best Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kcmunn and John, thank you gentlemen. John, I'll bet your attic is an interesting place to see! All my wife will let me put in mine is old useless stuff!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Could you post pictures of your carbine?

Mauserhooked, When you get the chance, pictures would be great to see. I love the short horse carbines. The carbine 1895 is one of my "Shoud have bought's" but $29.95 was a lot of money then. When I rode horseback over the Andes a couple of years ago looking at rocks, the Carbineros all just carried pistols- their current issue auto rifles must be too inconvenient on horseback- or maybe the smugglers all use the highway now and the ridgeline with Argentina is pretty relaxed. I like your avatar by the way- I served in the 1st in 1968 and 1969- Tet, etc. Larry

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lcuunn, thanks for the response! I served with the 1st in Germany in 1972 near Stuttgart in the small town of Boeblingen (Panzerkasern). I will post some pictures to your attention as soon as I get the carbine. I can see how a rifle, of any size, could be inconvenient flopping around on horseback. I don't know why I didn't think to measure the rod length needed as you suggested in your post. Guess I overlooked the obvious solution! I ordered my carbine from Colorado Gun and hope it turns out to be a good purchase. All matching except the bolt, I'm told. I can live with that if it turns out to be in decent shape overall. PS., I paid more than $29.95! Take care and have a good one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.