Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been collecting Mausers for a long while. To this day I don't own a really nice 1893 Spanish Mauser. Oh, I have a couple of scrubbed rifles, but not a nice Oviedo or german made rifle. What is the overall chance of availability in today's market? Generally, how often would you expect them to show up for sale at a "reasonable" price...all matching, non-import marked, very good-excellent condition? My supposition is that there is likely to be a high tariff. A 1894 Brazilian would do well enough. Jim

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
I don't think I have even seen a "all matching, non-import marked, very good-excellent condition" Spanish 1893 Mauser. I agree it would cost a pretty penny.

I picked up a Loewe Mfg. Berlin crested 1893 rifle dated 1896 last year in a deal. It doesn't match but it is in great shape. Only $150 so I feel very lucky. Here are a few photos.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
1,918 Posts
just my opinion....

They are out there. In people's collections. You have to pry them out of their hands.

The Nye Auction had a Berlin '96 Spanish - I don't know if it was matching, etc. --- -> it sold for $775.

top to bottom -

OVS/Chilean
ZAR
Brazilian
Berlin '96

The OVS/Chilean has m/m bolt.

·
Registered
658 Posts
There was a nice looking 1893 on the Trader board recently, but I don't know how the markings were on it.

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
My Mint all matching M1893 has a 1925 Spanish Crest. I assume it was rebuilt at that time and never reissued.I paid Pack and Postal Center $140 for it.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
There was a nice matching one on the Surplusrifleforum.com trader board for about a hundred fifty last week, and I'm pretty sure a local dealer (K&K Hobby in Utica NY) has or had one in their rack for not much more a week or two ago.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gentlemen: I thank all of you and the pictures are GREAT. I think I'm just gonna have to keep looking...more intensely. All in all, I need to be prepared to fork-over the money when I find one. Jim

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a nice matching Obendorf 1896 model 93 I picked up for about $100 a while back. It was a one of the first milsurp rifles I ever bought. I didn't know squat about rifles back then, so I didn't figure out what I had until I learned more years later. While I have seen plenty of M93 Berlin rifles, I haven't seen a single M93 Obendorf '96 since. At risk of dating how long ago I bought this rifle, I bought it on Ebay of all places, back when the internet was wild and free.
I see 93 Spanish mausers (Oviedo, scrubbed, and even the occasional Berlin) all the time for sale in the $125-$175 range. IMHO, they are under priced for what they are.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Jim,
I have a few extra matching Ludwig Loewe items you might be interested in. Can you PM me?
Regards,
John.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Jim,
Will do. I've been out of town on business and just got back yesterday. I found Jon Speed's new book waiting for me, so I've not said hello to the wife or family yet!
Regards,
John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts