Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a turk mauser today in alocal gun shop.the owner was as stumped as i was about it. rifle had a cutout on the right side of the stock with a milled 1/4"x3 bar on it like a sniper scope. after some research it looks like a 1893 with a magazine cutoff on it. it looked like part of it had been ground down or removed the article i read did not go into what it was use for before the rifle was converted .are they rare and what is a normal price for a lifle like it. gun is mm and fair to good shape. anyone else know any thing about it.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
i found a turk mauser today in alocal gun shop.the owner was as stumped as i was about it. rifle had a cutout on the right side of the stock with a milled 1/4"x3 bar on it like a sniper scope. after some research it looks like a 1893 with a magazine cutoff on it. it looked like part of it had been ground down or removed the article i read did not go into what it was use for before the rifle was converted .are they rare and what is a normal price for a lifle like it. gun is mm and fair to good shape. anyone else know any thing about it.
Looking in MMRotW there were 201K of these made.It's vague but it says it was the only rifle made in quantity with the mag. cutoff.Now if the reciever is nickel plated,you have 1 of only 200 made for the Palace Guard of the Sultan of Turkey.
Also mention is made of two types of rear sights.The sight with one the single button slide was made for round nose bullet use.The slide with two buttons were made for spitzer bullets.I can't tell you about pricing though.
I did see on a pricing list that the earlier rifles not converted to 7.92 from 7.65 are shown to be three times the value.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,770 Posts
The first M1893 rifles converted to 7.92X57 by the Turks retained the magazine cutoff "bar" with the cutoff lever removed and small rectangular hole filled. Many of those developed stock cracks at the rear bottom corner of the bar. On later conversions they removed the bar. If the subject rifle has the bar but no crack and the original stock with no pistol grip, it is the most desirable type of M1893/38.

Attachments

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
All of them are antiques, with or without the perso-arabic date markings on the left side of the receiver. The contract was completed in 1897.
If the cutoff box is visible on the outside of the stock and it has a straight grip its an original german made stock.
If it has a pistol grip and the box is visible its a rare intermediate type, given a new turkish stock when rebarreled to 7.92x57 (8x57). Every one I've seen has cracked at the corner of the box inlet.
After that the boxes were ground off completely to eliminate the cracking problem and they got new turkish pistol grip stocks.
Most of them have the original Ottoman Imperial marks polished off completely or partially. Originally they had the Tughra, the Sultan's official signature, on the bridge, but I've never seen anything but remnants.

Tugrah of Abdülhamid II, 1876 - 1909

I would recommend downloading or using US manufactured 8x57 when shooting, to avoid any chance of blown primers or cases. This rifle is pretty strong but does not have the gas relief ports and shield of the later 98 mausers.

http://www.turkmauser.com/models.aspx

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,770 Posts
thanks i will look at it again when i go back,what is a rough price on it being mm and i will have to look at the stock again.

Rebuilt Turks in general go for about $150.

·
Silver Bullet member
36,339 Posts
The antique 1893 is up to $100 more and other models also vary a lot from the 1938 K.Kale 98 Mauser type baseline prices.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.