Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sorry to hear this happened, this is a known issue with Fiocchi's modern loading of 8mm Lebel Revolver. It is just way under-loaded, inconsistent, the bullet has a heavy FMJ and its diameter is just a tad too large, all of this is a recipe for disaster. I am surprised Fiocchi USA even blessed you with a response!

These revolvers would have been proofed with the original French 8mm Ordnance cartridge which was smokeless but I don't know what the proofing standards were beyond that.

I have had numerous squibs with this ammo but always listened closely for them, a squib is not bad if you only shoot one!

·
Registered
746 Posts
The fact that the barrel did not rupture is a good testament to the quality of the revolver!

As Alamas said the proofing is different for martial guns...rest assured the revolver was originally proofed to whatever the French military standards were at the time and undoubtedly, a smokeless cartridge.

Also I believe the "Crown over E" is technically a proof mark as well.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Shame to hear another revolver, especially an antique one, was damaged. I am not trying to sound too scolding here but when a round does not sound and/or feel right stop shooting. And tell this to anyone with you if they are shooting your gun. A single squib will not cause damage...but you get one chance to notice it.

Somewhat good to hear that Fiocchi customer service is helping though...unfortunately I don't think they will ever fix the underlying ammunition loading problem. I don't know if its negligence or the aforementioned "lawyer loading", but the gross under-loading is potentially just as dangerous as leaning too heavy on the powder thrower.

I will also harp on again that I think Fiocchi's bullet is oversized and thus compounds the problems even further. It measures .329-.330" (for most of its bearing surface). My original French bullets measure .3285" only at the base and begin tapering slightly almost immediately, .327, .326, etc. Original bullets also weight 122 grains, not 111 grains like Fiocchi but this is besides the point.

I think a lot of these issues would be alleviated if Fiocchi switched from FMJ to their black-coated lead bullets for this cartridge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts