Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good weekend at the local gunshow,added 2 more 1891's to the collection.A nice all matching Engineers carbine and another long rifle,all matching #'s also. The long rifle is in good shape but unlike my other one has actually seen some use,has been repaired by the Argentine's years ago,has 1 of the arsenal round thru bolts thru the wrist and stock has been sanded some. Also the short handguard has been replaced with a long that matchs in color and finish.
Question on the way the mag is retained,all my others have a screw at the front of the trigger guard that locks the mag in place,this one does not,never had one,no hole for one,mag can be removed by pushing in a pin in the front of the trigger bow.Any idea as to why this one is different,it is a fairly early serial #D56xx.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Augie the first early rifle`s didnt have the screw to lock the magazine I have a c series argentine 1891 longrifle that is the same way, Im not sure when they added it but my other 2 a k and p series have it, you may also notice that the extractor location is different too if the bolt is original to the rifle it may be dead center between the lugs ,on the later rifles it was moved closed to the bottom lug, some other changes on later rifles are the handguard length, bolt sleeve with wings, and reinforced cocking pieces. Aaron10

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aaron10,thanks for the information,I thought it may be because the rifle was early production.You are dead on about the extractor also,had never noticed but it is dead center.Paid 160.00 for the rifle,all matching #'s,hard to turn down at that price.
Is there a good book that explains all the small changes in production for these rifles? I am starting to get a decent 1891 collection going,have a early long rifle,late long rifle,cavalry carbine and engineers carbine,all are really well made beautifull rifles.Now just need to find a matching long rifle with it's crest intact.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Some of the other guys will reply I think Colin Webster has a book out that might tell part of the story. My first rifle was a 1891 c series carbine that was given to me by one of my dads friends back in 1978 I think he had bought a dozen of them for 50 dollars each, I used it alot to shoot marmots back in my varmit hunting days, last 10 years Ive gotten the military bug and have picked up 4 of the 1891 longrifles 3 complete and matching and 1 that had stock chopped which im restoring and one more complete c series carbine action that I still need to find a stock for. Also got 2 F series 1909 longrifles but one of them wears a brazilian 1908 7mm barrel as its original barrel was shot out. Still looking for that mint 1909 though that I see everyone getting online and in ak they seem hard to find. aaron10

1 - 4 of 4 Posts