Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the 1891 Argentine long rifle on the online auction sites every once in a while, and I never had the urge to get one... Well, until now. There is one on GB that has caught my eyes.

How much would one expect to pay for a sample that has good stock, good bore, mismatched bolt (every thing else matching) and crest intact?

Thanks.

·
Platinum Bullet member
3,362 Posts
Am39, I just picked one up. The entire rifle including the cleaning rod was matching. The bolt and all it's parts were a different number but matched to it's self. It too had an intact crest. I got it for a song $125 so I know that is not a reasonable indicator of current pricing.

On another note I have noticed over the past year that of all the Argentine 1891's I have seen with mis-matched bolts had intact crests. The all matching rifles had their crests removed.

Has anyone else noticed this?

·
Registered
603 Posts
if you want a mint one and I mean mint expect to pay $300 and up and they are worth every penny.

I bought an unfired one that had a stock with chocolate brown streaks through it that knocked my eyes out with its beauty. Naturally the bore was mint and it will stay that way as I will never shoot corrosive ammo out of it ever.

There is a vast difference both in investment and personal satisfaction of owning a mint gun as opposed to a corrosive damaged shooter.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
this was my very very first milsurp
got it in excellent condition from hunters haven..right across the street from inter arms
all matching no import marks crest the whole 9 yards..wish i still had it

·
Gold Bullet member
529 Posts
Am39, I just picked one up. The entire rifle including the cleaning rod was matching. The bolt and all it's parts were a different number but matched to it's self. It too had an intact crest. I got it for a song $125 so I know that is not a reasonable indicator of current pricing.

On another note I have noticed over the past year that of all the Argentine 1891's I have seen with mis-matched bolts had intact crests. The all matching rifles had their crests removed.

Has anyone else noticed this?
My Mint All Matching one has the Crest removed. I paid $175 for mine three years ago.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'm in the same boat as Arctic39 as I've developed a sudden urge for one of these. Of course, I've also developed an urge for a vz24, a 24/52, a 98/22, a k98, an 1893, and any other Mauser I can lay my hands on :D Getting "Military Mausers of the World" might not have been such a hot idea :p

·
Silver Bullet member
1,291 Posts
Really a trade off for the crest and m/m bolt. About the only matching pieces I have seen lately with crests were rode hard, and put up wet, but not before they were chromed :eek:(. If available for less than $150 I'd get it for the crest and then look for a matching example.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,828 Posts

i have seen 1 in the last 3 years with crest. don't remember if it was matched. i would go with an intact crest personally. the matched scrubbed are much more common in my experience. i have a chromed, matched,intact which i posted qa question about here. any info,would love to hear it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have seen 1 in the last 3 years with crest. don't remember if it was matched. i would go with an intact crest personally. the matched scrubbed are much more common in my experience. i have a chromed, matched,intact which i posted qa question about here. any info,would love to hear it.
I have a couple long rifles with crest intact. Both have chromed buttplates, bands, magazine assembly, bolt release. I bought a lot of a dozen or so rifles back about 8 years ago, and all had crests intact, and most had slings. I kept the best two out of the lot. I've heard them called everything from parade rifles, to presidential guard rifles, to special Naval Academy rifles. None had import marks. Of course, they are pre-1898 antiques, so maybe they escaped the markings, imported as non-firearms.

·
Copper Bullet member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, this one just went above my spending limit. I guess the GB crowd likes to spend above the market value.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well, this one just went above my spending limit. I guess the GB crowd likes to spend above the market value.
You can never spend too much on a gun. You can only spend too much, too early.
If you don't like the prices now, just wait a couple of years.

In 2001, if I had stopped contributing to my 401K and started buying more guns instead.... of course, try to sell that one to the wife.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
long rifles

I see that one went beyond you. I would suggest you keep looking. Mine is matched right to the cleaning rod. But like others here has the ground crest.
I would say get the one with the intact crest. That's a nicer feature to me than the number on the bolt. I would think either detractor would have about the same effect on collectability.

But the 1891s are truly beautiful examples of the 19th century gun makers art, when the word "art" still applied. Many have georgeous tiger striped stocks. The blue is deep and dark. They balance wonderfully and are pure joy to bring to shoulder. The longer sight radius is a plus too. The only drawback is the ammo supply. If you were going to shoot these a lot, you'll want to reload for it.

The light line on the buttstock is probably where some dolt left a slip on buttpad on this too long. And what do you need an extra butt pad on these for? (unless maybe it was a tall goomer with long arms.:rolleyes:)

ground crest...

Some sod had nailed the handguard on mine. But he'd used fine brads and I was able to get it off with minimal damage to the handguard and stock.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Arctic, I have a 1891 rifle in very nice shape that I have been thinking of selling. If you want to see pics, please let me know. It has a ground crest but is otherwise in very nice shape. If I remember correctly the only issue is a chip in the stock, otherwise it looks to be unissued. I'll have to clean out the cosmo to really assess its condition.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I guess I'm in the minority here.I have an example, everything matches that I can see and maybe I wouldn't say minty, but excellent+ and it still has the crest.Kinda of odd though,the bands and buttplate have a different type of bluing to them,more of like a glossy commercial blue/black.Came with the original sling.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts