Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Martin08 and I are conducting an investigation of 1891 Argentine Mauser long rifles from the G block. So far we have been able to locate on four examples, three that we own and one Internet picture.

Three examples are unusual in that they show considerable wear, unlike most 1891 rifles that look almost new-in-box. The fourth one looks new, has an old style crest but has a mismatched A block bolt.

If you own a G block rifle, please let us know and give at least part of the serial number, a brief run down of condition, does it have a crest or is it scrubbed and any other unusual features it might have.

Also, the Webster book makes mention of a survey of Argentine 1891 serial numbers that had been carried out prior to publication of his book. I have not seen any mention of this survey in the older posts on this site. Recently I saw an older post giving a link to a serial number survey of 1895 Chilean Mausers that was off on some web page archival site. If anyone can point me to a serial number survey for 1891 Argentine Mausers I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Joe

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
I found pictures of G3926 in archives of a seller company. This was pretty much an excellent condition new style. The crest looked nicely scrubbed and touched up with blue. There seemed to be some swirl in the picture where the crest used to be.

I found a survey on another forum that had these numbers.

G 0397 Scrubbed (survey)
G 1077 Crest (survey)
G 2228 Crest (survey)
G 3315 Crest (from alund)
G 6883 Crest (in Argentina) (survey)
G 7943 Crest (survey)

G 4754 Scrubbed (from bones92)

G 6063 Scrubbed (found on Gun Broker)

G 3926 Scrubbed (some seller company)

G 0896 Crest (GunBoards member bought from InterArms in 1970's)
G 3112 Crest (GunBoards member bought from InterArms in 1970's)
G 7187 Crest (GunBoards member bought from InterArms in 1970's)
G 7596 Crest (GunBoards member bought from InterArms in 1970's)
G 8856 Crest (GunBoards member bought from InterArms in 1970's)

G 6784 Scrubbed (GunBoards member)

·
Gold Bullet member
11,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
G series unscrubbed 1891 argentine

Automotive exterior Bumper
Trigger Air gun
Revolver Machine
Door handle Metal

This G block is all all matching. I have an H block as well in a little bit less condition than this one, the rear sight has been replaced, has the longer hand guard but it has an unscrubbed as well.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reporting in your G series and including the nice pictures.

That is certainly a nice looking rifle with a beautiful crest.

I see that your barrel has the firing proof but does not have the interlinked ovals mark. By any chance have you had it apart and noticed if the underside of the barrel has the buckle inspection mark like the one used on the butt plate?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Gimme a bit and I'll post the entire rifle apart.
Thanks for reporting in your G series and including the nice pictures.

That is certainly a nice looking rifle with a beautiful crest.

I see that your barrel has the firing proof but does not have the interlinked ovals mark. By any chance have you had it apart and noticed if the underside of the barrel has the buckle inspection mark like the one used on the butt plate?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Posts 9 - 12 are showing invalid links.

I don't want to put you to a lot of trouble. Maybe you could just say if you saw the buckle mark on the underside of the barrel. My theory is that the buckle and the ovals are mutually exclusive. If that is true it would support the idea that the ovals are an inspection mark used instead of the buckle.

The wire color is less important. The three G series rifles with the old sights all had yellow wire when most others seem to have copper. Yours being a G series made me wonder if your did too.

Thanks again for all your work tonight.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's ok. Don't knock yourself out. Just confirming the buckle is fine.

Your initial report was key, adding one more from the first half of the G series to the short list. And the first pictures are great.

Thanks for your help.

Joe

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
qz2026,

Thanks for reporting in with your G-Series.

We have gotten more responses than I had expected. I think this proves that while some of the G-Series rifles seem to have been diverted from the Argentine production to Spain (e.g. the one captured in Cuba that is at the Springfield Armory Museum), we have enough owned in the USA to say that the entire G series was not sent to Spain.

Thanks again to everyone who has shared information.

Joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.