Gunboards Forums banner

1890 Mannlicher rifle and ammo

6K views 33 replies 12 participants last post by  Richard Sheckler 
There IS a Model 1890 Mannlicher Rifle in addition to the 88-90

When you say "1890 Mannlicher rifle" I assume you're talking about the Repetier-Gewehr M.88-90?

If your ammo has the round nosed bullets and will function in an unaltered 1915 mfg. Stutzen (with no "S" on the chamber I assume?) it is most likely the 8mm M.1893 sharfe Patrone. While M.88-90 weapons were chambered for the 8mm M.1890 scharfe Patrone the difference in ballistics was minor and it should be (note I said "should be") safe to fire in a good condition M.90 rifle. While the M.1890 cartridge had a case neck 2mm longer, the generously sized throats of all Austrian Mannlichers allowed the use of both cartridges in the M.88, M.88-90, M.90 and M.95 weapons.

Yo Krag,

There is a Model 1890 Mannlicher Rifle that is NOT the M1888-90. It is NOT related to the M1890 straight-pull rotary bolt carbine, but is from the family of straight-pull wedge block rifles.

The M90 rifle has a beefed up chamber area that becomes very obvious when you place a M90 alongside a M88 or M88-90, which of course is simply the M88 with the new sight panels added to the side of the rear sight.

If I were home I could shoot photos of a M90 for you, however as is usually the case, I'm not home. If you are interested, I can send you photos or post them on the Forum when I do get home.

Warmest regards,

JPS

Couldn't see the photos!

Thanks Darrell,

I couldn't tell here in Shanghai coutesy of the wonderful Chinese internet service! A lot of the time the photos don't show up or the page times out.

If I'm lucky the service will improve when I get to Moscow.

Thank you Fergus! I'll check out your photos as soon as I can see them!

Warmest regards,

JPS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.