Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a heavily refinished 1890 Mannlicher rifle with a good strong bore with no pitting. Action locks up tight and smooth. The headspace was checked by my local gunsmith who states that headspace is well within safe limits. I have some old ( 1934 and 1935 round nosed ammo that works well in my unaltered 1895 Budapest stutzen made in 1915. I have never had a hangfire with this ammunition despite it's age. Is this ammunition safe to use in my wedge locking 1890? I understand that the older wedge locking Mannlichers reached their limit with the old smokeless and I don't want to subject this rifle to undue stress. I do handload so going to a lighter load would not be an issue. Hints? Suggestions? Warnings? I am just glad to get this old timer for my straight pull collection despite the horrible refinish job done on it. Thanks in advance folks! Joe

·
Super Moderator
105,691 Posts
Your M90 will probably not accept the ammo you are talking about. The M90 is chambered for the 8x50 round. Not the 8x56 round. Which is probably what you have. As you can see, its 6mm too long. You'll have to cut and resize the brass you have already or find new boxer primed and reload from there.

Im sure others will help you out better. I don't have an M90, so I can't speak from experience.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
When you say "1890 Mannlicher rifle" I assume you're talking about the Repetier-Gewehr M.88-90?

If your ammo has the round nosed bullets and will function in an unaltered 1915 mfg. Stutzen (with no "S" on the chamber I assume?) it is most likely the 8mm M.1893 sharfe Patrone. While M.88-90 weapons were chambered for the 8mm M.1890 scharfe Patrone the difference in ballistics was minor and it should be (note I said "should be") safe to fire in a good condition M.90 rifle. While the M.1890 cartridge had a case neck 2mm longer, the generously sized throats of all Austrian Mannlichers allowed the use of both cartridges in the M.88, M.88-90, M.90 and M.95 weapons.

·
Super Moderator
9,218 Posts
8x50R ammo dated 35

THis is the commonly available 8x50R, Bulgarian Contract made in Czechoslovakia at the "Circle M" plant (before it became "Z", owned by ZB Brno.)
Excellent ammo, I use it in all my 8x50R chambers (M88/90 Hunting carbine (export rifle); M90 Carbine (AOI capture) M95 Budapest (my "first" M95 some 30 years ago) and M95 AOI long rifle...and almost forgot, my India trade BSA/ Martin of Glasgow 8mm Lee Enfield Express Rifle.

Al;though Berdan primed and corrosive (always Water clean), I reload the shells ( 5mm (.199) #5005 RWS primers), and use swaged down .338 jacketed,(.329) or As-cast CBE .330 Steyr projectiles.

I try to save the original ammo for "proper" use, such as Boar Hunting. 247 grains of FMJ RN is a real Pig stopper!.

The 1935 contract ammo is suitable for all the versions of straight-pull Mannlicher, whether Wedge lock or Front lLugs.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics

·
Super Moderator
11,673 Posts
Your M90 will probably not accept the ammo you are talking about. The M90 is chambered for the 8x50 round. Not the 8x56 round....
He writes "round nosed ammo", therefore it should be 8x50.

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1890 Mannlicher ammo

Sorry folks I should have been more precise. the ammunition is 8 x 50R as are my 1915 Budapest Stutzen and this recently acquired 88/90 or M90 Mannlicher rifle. The rifle is a perfect example of what bubba can do when truely inspired. Fortunately the rifle has excellent mechanics and now that I have cleaned it up a nice bore with no pitting visible with a bore light. I am especially pleased with the firm and smooth bolt and the fact that the geadspace is in good shape. Thank you all for your responses. I have some moderate handloads that I have used successfully in my Stutzen ( using .329 190 grain bullets ) and I will initially shoot the rifle with these but would like to fire a few rounds of this old military stuff I have just to experience the cartridge/rifle with the " original " power level. As always gunboards comes through. Thanks again folks! Joe

" pitting

·
Copper Bullet member
395 Posts
I am familiar with this particular rifle and can tell you that bubba sure liked them shiney!My understanding is that it is an M1890 rifle and not an M88/90. The difference being that the sights were originally made for the 8x50R cartridge and the knox form (or whatever you call the thick area of the barrel in front of the receiver) is longer than on the converted M88's.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Marzon - ah, I see you read my book?

·
Copper Bullet member
395 Posts
Krag, yes I have read your book, and the one "Collecting Classic Bolt Action Military Rifles". In fact your books have cost me alot of money sir in my quest to have "one of every model" ;)

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Then you need to get my new book on the Infanteriegewehr 88. In fact, it would make a great Xmas present for your friends and family, so why not buy ten copies?

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1890 Mannlicher

Krag ( or anyone else please chime in ) Juts how difficult is it to find the 1890? I have heard all sorts of wild tales about how scarce it is ( usually from folks who see a higher price if they want to sell ). Obviously the true collector value of my rifle is gone owing to the savage sanding and brilliant reblue job. I bought the rifle as a shooter and I have recently fired it with both my moderate reloads and the full military stuff and find it a nice rifle to shoot. I know that bayonets are getting harder to find but I am always hopefull. Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,673 Posts
It mostly depends on your location. It's a lot easier to find one on the East Coast.

As for the bayonets, they are actually harder to find than the rifles themselves. I own several models bayonets for the M.88 & M.90 rifles, including the hard to find M.90 bayonet (where the muzzle ring is not split, but one whole). This particular bayonet is more expensive than some of my M.88-90s. The regular M.88 bayonets usually cost over $150 depending on the condition. A Bulgarian-made (made, not just marked) M.88 bayonet is over $400.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've been looking for a bayonet for my M1890 (FGGY) ever since I got it back in early August. The only place I've seen M88/90 bayonets for sale is on eBay from a seller in Eastern Europe. He's asking $199 each. Add another $60 for shipping and that's too much for me.

·
Super Moderator
11,673 Posts
Dennis Ottobre frequently has bayonets for the M.88 & M.90 rifles: http://www.ebayonet.com/ Not right now, though, and they will be in the same range of $200+

·
Super Moderator
11,120 Posts
There IS a Model 1890 Mannlicher Rifle in addition to the 88-90

When you say "1890 Mannlicher rifle" I assume you're talking about the Repetier-Gewehr M.88-90?

If your ammo has the round nosed bullets and will function in an unaltered 1915 mfg. Stutzen (with no "S" on the chamber I assume?) it is most likely the 8mm M.1893 sharfe Patrone. While M.88-90 weapons were chambered for the 8mm M.1890 scharfe Patrone the difference in ballistics was minor and it should be (note I said "should be") safe to fire in a good condition M.90 rifle. While the M.1890 cartridge had a case neck 2mm longer, the generously sized throats of all Austrian Mannlichers allowed the use of both cartridges in the M.88, M.88-90, M.90 and M.95 weapons.

Yo Krag,

There is a Model 1890 Mannlicher Rifle that is NOT the M1888-90. It is NOT related to the M1890 straight-pull rotary bolt carbine, but is from the family of straight-pull wedge block rifles.

The M90 rifle has a beefed up chamber area that becomes very obvious when you place a M90 alongside a M88 or M88-90, which of course is simply the M88 with the new sight panels added to the side of the rear sight.

If I were home I could shoot photos of a M90 for you, however as is usually the case, I'm not home. If you are interested, I can send you photos or post them on the Forum when I do get home.

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Platinum Bullet Member
553 Posts
Fergus provided pictures of the M1888-90 and M1890 on page 1 of this thread. Thank you Fergus.

·
Super Moderator
11,120 Posts
Couldn't see the photos!

Thanks Darrell,

I couldn't tell here in Shanghai coutesy of the wonderful Chinese internet service! A lot of the time the photos don't show up or the page times out.

If I'm lucky the service will improve when I get to Moscow.

Thank you Fergus! I'll check out your photos as soon as I can see them!

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mannlicher Model 1890, 1888-90, 1888 & 1886

Gentlemen, I am new to this forum. I read with great interest what several of you had to say about collecting and shooting the Model 1890 with the non rotating bolt head.

I remember seeing ads for them when i was a kid pouring over the one and two page spreads Ye Olde Hunter of Alexandria, VA posted in the back pages of the American Rifleman. Hunter described his wares with such romantic enthusiasm that I could not help but lust after at least one each of everything he had. Of course, even at '5 for $35' I couldn't afford them.

To this day, I have not seen any of the early straight pull models in the flesh, though I am fortunate enough to have several long and short versions of the Model 95, in both 8X50R and 8X56R.

My questions for you are: Where might I look for a pre Model 95 to see and study one, and possible purchase?

(Member of OGCA Have never seen one at any of these shows)

Thanks in advance,

Richard
Wayne, Ohio

·
Super Moderator
11,673 Posts
Richard,

The pre-M.95 list includes M.88, M.88-90, M.86-90 & M.90 Repetiergewehrs and M.90 Repetierkarabiner (also M.85 & M.86, but they are black powder guns).

They are not easy to find, especially the M.90 carbine. The only way to find one of these is to watch the on-line auctions and the Trader forum here.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts