Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pics available on request. [email protected]

Length: 52" Weight: 10.19 lbs Barrel: 33.05," 4-groove, Right Hand Twist Sight graduated to 1,600m
The Model 1881 rifle was adopted on March 22nd, 1881 and featured the new Schmidt quadrant sight with gradations from 225m to 1,200m and an extending sight leaf for distances up to 1,600m. It also had the improved Schmidt set trigger. This rifle is all original and intact. All numbers, and there are a bunch of things stamped match. I counted at least 10 parts that are numbered, i ncluding the loading gate and cartridge lifter system, and everything matches. This rifle carris 12 rounds of 10.4x38Rmm Rimfire ammuntition. It is pretty pricey now but you can find it and if anyone is interested I can give you some names of places that have it. Your pronbably not going to take it to the range and dump 100 rounds through it anyway. This rifle was manufactured at Waffenfabrik Bern and is markjed as such on the receiver and also has the double cartouche on the stock. According to the serial numbers and the best info I can find this was made in the last year of production for this model which is 1889. The Swiss only made roughly 60,000 of this model I believe, so its not like these are real common, and ones that are in this good of shape are fairly hard to find. The metal finish is starting to turn a Patina but is more of a dark blued right now. The receiver does have some brown coloring but it all just blends in so well its hard to say its Patina and its hard to say its blue. The bolt handle is a browner patina a few shades different from the receiver, Im sure from lots of hand sweat on the bolt. It is serial numbered as well and does match. The sling swivels move as does the sight elevation. The rear sight extends but is stuck, I am absolutely positive if yoiu spray some penetrating oil on it it will slide right out like new. Everything functions perfect. Cleaning rod is intact. There is under the buttplate a storage spot that was used for extra firing pins as these were a weak link it seems. Sure enough this one has one wrapped in oiled tan paper, and it is broke. Kind of a wierd design as you have to take the buttplate off to get to it there is no access door.. Wood is excellent condition, very few minor dings and scratches, I though there was a small crack but it is just a deeper scratch from long ago. The stock has shrunk from the butt plate some. There is also some small dots o what looks like grey paint splatter near the buttplate. Im sure this will come off with something but Im not messing with it. There are also 2 thin (1/4") streaks on one side of stock from under the buttplate and running towards receiver. Finish of stock is faded there almost like a water glass ring on a wood table. The forends are perfect and have very few dents or dings and no discoloring or cracks or splits. Both barrel bands are present. Wood is fairly tight with very little side to side play from shrinkage. Now to the only bad part, the bore. When I got it it looked like a smooth bore. I ran some patches and a bore brush down it a few times, and they came out filthy, dust and grains of sand, and then brown and black residue, but the rifling started showing up better and better. Im done cleaning it. The bore is still dirty and may be pitted I dont know. It needs a few days spent on it with some good powder and lead cleaner soaking to dissolve and break through the crust. Im not saying it will ever be great or even good. My feeling is it will clean up enough to look allright and then I would spend some time finding a box of ammo on the internet I could afford shoot three or four rounds to see what it does and then clean it and it will probably be ok. Ive had some sewer pipe bores that cleaned up to decent and shot well and I have a feeling this will be the same way. This gun had not been cleaned for quite a while, I would guess a few decades, and I by no means did a thorough job. It needs pulled out of the wood and wiped down and inspected by a gunsmith before firing, but it is a nice one, and a very old one, and has not been changed to centerfire, and is all original. $400.00

1 - 3 of 3 Posts