Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring/cleaning a friend's 1889 Belgian mauser. It is over all a nice rifle with a very nice bore. It is missing the cleaning rod and the small screw that goes into the outside of the bolt stop lever. Can I use the screw from an 1891 Argentibe Mauser to replace that screw? also does anyone have the dimensions of the cleaning rod. I can make the rod but have no dimensions available to me. I can work out the length by simple trial and error but I need rod diameter, head diameter and length and size of the slot in the head. I wish to make a close a working copy as I can. Any help would be greatly appreciated in this project also the barley corn front sight is missing- I have been unable to locate an original but feel that I could possibly find a substitute from another rifle. Any hints, ideas? Thanks all! Joe

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
Hi Joe,
How long is your barrel? I have original rods for the Mle 1889/16 short rifle and the Mle 1889 long rifle. Since you are going to make one, could you a batch of them instead? I'm sure that there are a few GB members who need such rods. (I need 5.) :)
Regards,
John

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1889 Belgian cleaning rod

For John Wall and anyone else..... I have a small shop the centerpiece of which is a large lathe made in 1901. I do make such things as cleaning rods and sometimes small parts but I work slowly at times. I willing to make some rods as liong as I have some good pictures of such parts of a rod as the head or details of the head such as any jag grooving, slots or holes. fractional dimensuons are also critical as well as main diameter of rod, length, thread type at the end ( if present ) For instance it appears that the head size is important for the 1889 Belgian as it fits into a curved projection made for that purpose under the barrel jacket. I usually just charge for materials and shipping. Anyway any pictures or dimensions would be of great help. I download such info and keep in a set of binders for later reference.I can be emaled at; [email protected] The Belgian rod looks pretty straight forward so far. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts