Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I was just at my LGS and he had what appeared to be an 1888 Trapdoor Springfield. I'm not real sure on the type, but from the photos I've seen of a bayonet/cleaning rod, and how it's retained on the barrel, it looks like an 1888.

The stock is in good shape, with a visable cartouch and "P". The barrel and receiver look pretty good, too, but they do appear to be reblued.

My dealer want's about $750 for it, but I think I could knock it down a few bucks (we're on good terms). Is $750 (or thereabouts) a good price, or should it be a lower due to the refinished parts.

I'm usually pretty good at pricing, but the really antique stuff always throws me.

Thanks.

·
Gold Bullet member
848 Posts
If it really has been reblued, I would shy away from it. If it looks really nice, and hasn't been reblued, $750 is somewhere between a good deal and a steal. These had a beautiful high-polish blue on them. What makes you feel that it might be reblued?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I agree, if reblued I would pass. There have also been a lot of these put together out of parts, which also would not be worth it. It can get pretty complicated, it should have the right sights, lock, trigger, hammer, the right date on the cartouche, etc. I would do some serious study before buying.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the reason I believed it was reblued was because I thought the receivers were originally case hardened, and the chambers in the white. This one was definatly blued. I'll have to look again, and do some further research.

Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts