Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Administrator
10,397 Posts
M71 Scharfe patronen

If it says "M71," then it should have a round nose projectile. If it is a flat point (for the M71/84 Tube mag loader), then the packet should state "M71/84".

Of course, M71/84 cartridges(flat point) will work just as well in the single shot M71 Mauser rifle, but NOT vice versa. The use of round nosed M71 in a tube loader is asking for trouble (Big Boom in Mag tube).

Cases are 1888 dated, so this is "New Ammo" , Not arsenal reloads, which are also common.

The correct Military designation is "Scharfe Patrone,Kal.11mm, M71 (or M71/84)"

The designation "11,15x60R" is a Civilian designation to distinguish loads made for civilian trade ( and hence not prohibited).

Nice find, and worth money for sealed and good condition packets.

Regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

· Administrator
10,397 Posts
Boxes of M71/84 Ammo marked M71

Well, in the past I have seen on this board and the IAA Board, boxes marked "M71/84" in a
"superscript/subscript manner", ie, the "M" was full size, and the "71/84" was half size, to fit against the "M". (common European printing usage at the time...occurs also on the Danish M1910/21 Pistol markings (full size "M19 " and half size "10/21").

I would hazard a guess that after the Tube loader was introduced into service, to avoid the Tube loading problem, all ammo was made Flat Pointed; and that the use/manufacture of round nose ammo was discontinued when stocks ran out (the Round nose was only marked "M71" so it would be a really Dumb German supply officer who would issue M71 RNs to troops with 71/84s even for training. ( German soldiers may have had their share of "dumkopf" people, but "befehl ist befehl", and I doubt even the "dummest" of these would have gone against a directive on ammo.

On the other hand, the question about the ten round packets is interesting...M71 Carbines were still on issue after the 71/84 was declared standard...in fact there is NO 71/84 Carbine;

Cavalry were either Lancers, Curassiers, Uhlans, Hussars etc...the carbine (single shot) was an Auxiliary weapon, the Point or Blade being the major one, at least till 1888.

So a ten round packet would be more amenable to Cavalry (M71) users; The Footsoldier, who had Double Pouches of either M71 or M84 design, would have naturally carried more ammo. Correct me If I am wrong, but the M71 Pouch had an internal Block to hold 10 cartridges???

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.