Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone advise me on the value of this rifle. The bore is excellent, and all matching and original. It has Chilean government marking on the stock. I don't believe it has ever been refinished . I am going to offer it for sale at my local dealer, and I need to know what to ask for it.

charlie

·
Registered
697 Posts
How much bluing is left? What condition is the wood in? Pictures maybe. You could probably sell it pretty fast on the boards here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1886 mannlicher

The wood has a few dents, but it has it's original finish, and every number matches, even the stock. The stock has some fiddleback, and no cracks whatsoever.The metal is 85% with greying, patina. The bore is excellent. The metal is complete with bands and volley sights 100% complete. The sights are all original.

Charlie

·
Registered
474 Posts
A dealer is not likely to give you what it's worth. I'd either put it up here on the trader boards or on one of the online auction sites (Gunbroker.com or AuctionArms.com). The antique status (pre-1899) should make it an easy sale.......no hassles with FFL's.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,426 Posts
I concur. Something that odd is not going to be a piece that a dealer is very likely at all to buy at a fair rate, because he would have so low a chance of being able to move it rapidly. Through the wonders of the internet, however, you should easily be able to move it on the trader to an appreciative (and thus willing to pay) collector.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,214 Posts
Charlie Chaplin, please check your private messages. Steve

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quick question concerning thew 1886 and ammunition. In the 11mm version, is the definition of the cartridge the 11.15x58R Austrian? Am trying to verify a batch of old ammuntion, and I know there are two 11mm Austrian cartridges. The one I am asking about is the bottlenecked version.
LLS

·
Gold Bullet member
2,708 Posts
My Gahendara now has a friend, a Nepalese Snider

Found this locally, no british markings, Nepalese, bright metal, tight action, all #s match but trigger guard, excellant bore.
Is there any idea when these were made, how many were made/imported? Anything to watch for like on Gahendara? Value?

·
Super Moderator
11,675 Posts
Quick question concerning thew 1886 and ammunition. In the 11mm version, is the definition of the cartridge the 11.15x58R Austrian?
No, it is called either 11 mm Mannlicher M.1886 or 11.2x58R Mannlicher. This cartridge is dimensionally identical with 11 mm M.77 Werndl, but features increased charge and improved bullet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
11mm Mannlicher ammo

No, it is called either 11 mm Mannlicher M.1886 or 11.2x58R Mannlicher. This cartridge is dimensionally identical with 11 mm M.77 Werndl, but features increased charge and improved bullet.
Nick, thank you very much for the information. COTW wasn't much help on this one.

LLS

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can someone advise me on the value of this rifle. The bore is excellent, and all matching and original. It has Chilean government marking on the stock. I don't believe it has ever been refinished . I am going to offer it for sale at my local dealer, and I need to know what to ask for it.

charlie
The brass can be made up, the bore determined by slugging but the 5 round clips will be a real problem to track down in useable condition. As disposeable items they were lost through the bottom of the magazine once the last cartridge was chambered so they're tricky to get. Without the you've got a single shot.

Peter

·
Registered
572 Posts
11mm Mannlicher

Wow, what a great post with the info page, the picture of the cartridges was great. Thanks for posting that, stuff like this is why I love these boards!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts