Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had mine apart before, and can't quite figure it out - I don't want to damage the rifle. I can loosen the bands, remove the cleaning rod and the cross piece it goes through, also rotate the front cap with the slot aligned with the little lug on the underside of the barrel... what comes off or moves next? Also, how is the handguard held in place, is it attached to the rear band?

TIA for any information....

·
Gold Bullet member
1,146 Posts
It has been a while since I dismounted my Kropat., but as I recall you have to start with removing the cleaning rod. The rotate the magazine tube so that it disengages the barrel lug. The withdraw that entired tube and spring out the stock. this should allow the barreled action to lift free of the wood,once all of the bands have been removed. At least that is how I remember it.

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
The fit of the tube cap ( which in turn engages a lug on the barrel ) can be tight but the cap itself can be pulled off the brass magazine tube. If it doesn't come off right away just turn the whole assembly friom side to side and pull up at the same time. As long as the magazine tube is pulled up a short ways ( about an inch ) the stock can cleared away from the action. I am assuming that the cleaning rod has been removed. The receiver end of the magazine tube engages a hole in the receiver when properly assembled. The brass magazine tube is fairly fragile and most of us tend to leave it in place once the end cap has been removed. The tolerances on these fine old rifles are quite close. The handguard is held to the barrel by two conventional spring clips and the interior of the handguard is inlet to alolow coverage of barrel band by the guard. I am told that the handguards are a Portuguese retrofit for rifles in colonial service and was done in the 1890s but I have not had this confirmed. I fire my Kropatschek quite a bit, mostly at fifty yard plinking range and it is a fine rifle to shoot. For me it is the easiest of the rear loading tube magazine rifles to magazine load. I use chamfered rim, resized 348 brass which works beautifully in my rifle. Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.