Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gentlemen,
Last night I won a Chatellerault 1886/93 Lebel rifle on AA. I think I am now hooked on French rifles from the WW1 time frame. Anyway, this rifle has a dust cover over the bolt but it apparently has no bayonet lug. I know I took a chance with only 3 pictures. Will be paying 412.00. Does anyone else have one of these without a bayonet mount? Any info would be appreciated. TIA.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,659 Posts
The ones without the bayonet guides on the barrel were ones captured by the Germans during the war, usually these had an ersatz mounting to allow the Gewhr 98 bayonet to be mounted to the weapon.
Patrick

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as I get this rifle I will post some photo's. I do have a question though. Was the dust cover a standard item on these and did the weapon have to be modified at all to accept the cover? TIA.

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,659 Posts
The 'Couvre-culasse' was not a standard item but was meant to be. These were developed during The Great War to help keep the magazine action from getting debris in in when the bolt was closed but these were found to be more of a PIA than they were worth so they discarded by the troops. Some of these weapons that used these covers did have a indentation put in the rear left side of the stock near the receiver so that the cover could slide in when cycled, others did not have this feature. I have a cover that will slide without this modification to the stock quite easily. These covers do make quite a bit of noise when cycled so you can understand why they were 'thrown away', gave away your position at night. The only time I use mine is when I display my rifle to show people what they looked like.
Patrick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts