Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know the original load for a 45-70 1886 Winchester .i have used Clyde Williams loads but in this rifle they shoot 14" high ,i would like to use original sights , this load was 60 gr, 3031 with 300 gr, bullet, i am thinking a 500 gr, bullet at about 1250 fps.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
The orginal load would have been 70 Grains of powder (black of course) with a 500 grain lead bullet or the carbine load of 55 grains of said powder and a 405 grain lead bullet. Smokeless didn't make much of an impact in sporting arms until the late 1890s.

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,455 Posts
.45-70 Loads.

I have been shooting my Win. 86 made in 88 with exelent results with 33g. Re-7 behind a 300g. hardcast molycoat projectile. It is chamberd in .45-90 but shoots just as well with this load in .45-70. This is a light load for the old springfield trapdoor as i see no reason to punnish this old girl any further. Hope this helps. chester.

·
Registered
29 Posts
1886 winchester loads.

I shoot a marlin 1895 Cowboy, my favorite load is 30 grs. reloader #7 with a 405 gr. hard cast lead bullet. Its a pig killer for sure.

·
Registered
238 Posts
any one know the original load for a 45-70 1886 Winchester .i have used Clyde Williams loads but in this rifle they shoot 14" high ,i would like to use original sights , this load was 60 gr, 3031 with 300 gr, bullet, i am thinking a 500 gr, bullet at about 1250 fps.

your not using smokeless in a original 1886 are you-?
that could have unfortunate results.

Dave

·
Gold Bulllet Member
2,455 Posts
Smokeless in Blackpowder Winchester.

Not trying to start a war here but may be i am missing something. I have for many years used Frank Barnes Cartridges of the world as my bible for sensible smokeless loads for the old guns i have and have had with not a problem. I have hunted pigs for years with an 1873 Win. rifle in .44-40 made in 1880 with both smokeless and blackpowder reloads. I also have a few old clunkers that would not be safe any more even with light loads of black. I think if the gun is in good safe shooting condition and you dont load hot all will be good. But i could be wrong. Regards and safe shooting. chester.

·
Silver Bullet member
4,753 Posts
I can tell you my favorite deer load for my original .45-70 Model 1886.

Lyman bullet #457125HP (that's the 500 grain hollow point version of the classic bullet, cast in wheel weight metal), sized to .459".

31.0 grains of IMR4198 powder.

CCI #200 primer in Winchester brass.

The calculated muzzle velocity is 1370 FPS.

This is a very accurate load for me and has never exhibited any pressure signs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reassurance.

I've asked this question before but would like to get a little reassurance about it. Can I or should I not shoot these loads in my 1886 45-70; REMINGTON EXPRESS RIFLE 45-70 GOVERNMENT 405 GR. SP R4570G?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Not sure how much reassurance this will give you as I also answered on your other post, YES. Factory is loaded down for such things as Trapdoor Springfields. The 1886 will take much higher loaded ammo. Check out any reloading manual and you will see low power loads, of which the factory Remington is equal to, Mid level for Winchester and Marlins and then the stomp an elephant loads for Ruger #1s. If you don't trust them then we can make a swap of cheap no good factory loads (yours) and some of my highly crafted, sweated over, cast bulleted, black powder loads that are safe in weak guns like Trapdoor Springfields.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,220 Posts
Let me get back to you on that. Take care and good luck with y'all search for a new coach at UT.
I was a grad student in Knoxville in the late 70's, early 80's. If you were not a football fan (I was not) then you learn to hate collage football. Had to leave home every Saturday and run for the mountians to get away from the madness. Now shoot that 86!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts