Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was at a show over the weekend that had more 1871 and 71/84 rifles than I have ever seen. Absolutely shocked at the number. Most were in fantastic condition and commanded a WIDE range of prices.

One has been really bugging me. It was chambered in a cartridge of some sort of 6mm. The owner knew very little about the rifle, he had not done a chamber cast or slugged the bore. The rifle *appeared* in military form. I am however, not very knowledgeable on the nuances of various models.

I am considering calling the owner to inquire about more information and pictures if he has any. Unfortunately at the show, you are not permitted to take pictures. Before I call him to inquire I would like to try and educate myself on what the rifle may possibly be?

I have read through the excellent information compiled above in the 6mm Test Rifle sticky. If I should purchase the rifle, I will of course compare a chamber cast to the specs provided by Mr. Speed.

I have also looked through the Alfa catalog and have not found a similar type rifle for sale. I may have missed something, however.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
If it was the OGCA show I saw the rifle on Saturday and spoke with the owner. Actually I listened while the owner spoke with my friend who is a mauser guru. It turns out the rifle is a conversion in 6.5mm Daudeteau for Uraguay. It is a model 71 receiver rebarreled in that caliber, still a single shot and with new sights. It was in excellent condition. The consensus was that it was correct and proper and the asking price was about right as well.
I kind of like the 71s and own one myself though I mainly collect much later era stuff.

here is a link to a previous discussion of the rifles.
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?4545-Daudeteau

Hope that helps

Frank

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Frank,

Thank you for the post and excellent link. I was reading about the Uruguay conversion after posting and wondered if it could be something of the sort. The owners statement of 6mm threw a curve ball, but I assumed that was his GUESS.

It was indeed at the OGCA show. I sent an email to the gentleman asking if it was still available and if he would like to discuss it. If he sends me pictures and is OK with me posting them, I will post them. If I decide to not purchase it I will pass along contact info if he is OK with that to anyone who is interested.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Frank,

Thank you for the post and excellent link. I was reading about the Uruguay conversion after posting and wondered if it could be something of the sort. The owners statement of 6mm threw a curve ball, but I assumed that was his GUESS.

It was indeed at the OGCA show. I sent an email to the gentleman asking if it was still available and if he would like to discuss it. If he sends me pictures and is OK with me posting them, I will post them. If I decide to not purchase it I will pass along contact info if he is OK with that to anyone who is interested.
Frank said it first, but I had the same thought. The 6.5mm Daudeteau conversion and ammunition is fairly scarce in my understanding. For a collector of old transitional period rifles, it would be welcome, I should think.

·
Silver Bullet member
1,441 Posts
Frank,

The 1871 Mauser converted to 6.5mm Daudeteau is not all that rare. I sold mine for a good price, as I had bought it 25 years earlier for less than $100, but I have seen a number of them going begging on Gunbroker over the years. The ammunition can be made from 7.62 X 54mm Russian without too much trouble. They were converted by the Societé Française des Armes Portatives and are usually marked SFAP near the receiver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.