Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been after one of these for a few years. Always had something else pop up when I had the chance to buy but a friend offered me this one and I had to have it. Triggerguard and two screws are mismatched otherwise matching with nice bluing on the barrel. Took me a while to find a nice one as most I’ve seen are pretty well used.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
Looks like an excellent find CJ...congratulations!

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,199 Posts
This is my Amberg IG71, almost as nice as yours. I had to get on top of a ladder to get it all in the frame.

IG71

A shorter Steyr Kar 71

Kar 71

·
Registered
821 Posts
All fine looking rifles guys, thanks for sharing them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No different system. The needle gun was first introduced in 1841 and had various iterations used by the Prussian military until the Mauser was introduced.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Thanks for clarification. Never seen this platform before

·
Registered
367 Posts
What caliber is this chambered in?
15.4mm paper cartridge. The primer was located ahead of the powder and the needle in the bolt would piece the back of the cartridge through the powder and ignite the primer.

·
Registered
40 Posts
15.4mm paper cartridge. The primer was located ahead of the powder and the needle in the bolt would piece the back of the cartridge through the powder and ignite the primer.

I’ve read the needle gun was a big factor why the Prussians beat the French. Is this the same rifle and caliber uses during the war?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I’ve read the needle gun was a big factor why the Prussians beat the French. Is this the same rifle and caliber uses during the war?
I think you read wrong-- the Dreyse needle rifle was very dated by the time of the Franco Prussian War. The Prussians won in spite of it. The French by that time had the much- superior Chassepot. The shortcomings of the Dreyse were a major factor behind the switch to the Mauser design.

The Prussian victory was mainly because of 1) better tactics and leadership. 2) Better logistics (rails, etc..)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I think you read wrong-- the Dreyse needle rifle was very dated by the time of the Franco Prussian War. The Prussians won in spite of it. The French by that time had the much- superior Chassepot. The shortcomings of the Dreyse were a major factor behind the switch to the Mauser design.

The Prussian victory was mainly because of 1) better tactics and leadership. 2) Better logistics (rails, etc..)

You are entirely right, quick google search shows that I had wrongly remembered what I had read before. Do you have a photo of the paper cartridge?

·
Registered
367 Posts
You are entirely right, quick google search shows that I had wrongly remembered what I had read before. Do you have a photo of the paper cartridge?
You should be able to find one on a Google search. I don't shoot any of mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You should be able to find one on a Google search. I don't shoot any of mine.

Gotcha. German firearms are my main interest. However anything before WW1 is totally alien to me. Thanks for sharing the photo amd information.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Nice one you can never go wrong with an 1871 Mauser! Plus it's a Danzig too not a commonly found 1871 rifle out there. You will see 10 times more Amberg and Spandau rifles over Danzig and Erfurt.

As of now I only own one my Kar71 CHS one of my favorites!

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lovely CGH Jordan! As you know I have a VCS Kar71 too, matching down to the screws.

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
19,159 Posts
We see many of the I.G. Mod. 71/84 rifles in spectacular condition, but not many of its single shot older siblings in good shape. Nice to see you picked up a stellar representative for the collection, Marc!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts