Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I met a wonderful Irish gentleman who showed me this 1858 Remington. Though raised in Ireland, he served in Vietnam and later became a master engraver. He has been commissioned for engraving work by several museums over the years and one...Can't recall the strange name, asked him to engrave this revolver that the museum curator claimed was carried by a member of the Irish brigade at Antietam. I did wonder why a museum would alter an antique with such (alleged) provenance. He told me that the gun was heavily rusted and pitted all over, so perhaps that explains it. My phone images are pretty weak so you can't really see it, but the bore and cylinders are pitted completely, as are the nipples. He did a fantastic job of cleaning it up and doing full coverage on it. He fashioned the grips from ivory as well (and IIRC, he mentioned it was when ivory was still imported - pre 86?).

As he tells it, when he finished the commission and delivered it to the museum, they actually presented him with the revolver!

I've commissioned him to engrave my Uberti 1866, but will have to wait about 6 months before he can begin.

T

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, pretty hard to believe that a museum would turn it over, but this guy has lived a pretty fascinating life of meeting a lot of celebrities and having unique experiences. He was even inducted into the Former Texas Rangers Society and showed me the presentation Ranger star they gave him.
However he came across that 1858, it's the real deal and he engraved the holy terror out of it. It really was remarkable to hold and admire. I can't wait to see what he'll do with my yellow boy

T

·
Silver Bullet member
36,239 Posts
sounds kinda "windy" to me.
Dan in Texas
Well, lets say a poor condition 1858 Remington was given to a museum. It sounded like it wasn't in a condition to exhibit, and not worth much as it was. Especially if it was just word of mouth that it was at Antietam, no good provenance, so the value would stay low. So perhaps that curator "acquired" it and had it engraved for himself?

I'm a little queasy about the ethics of that but a lot of smaller museums, even public ones, are sort of closed shops.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm going to see Sean this coming week. I'll ask him the name of the museum he did the engraving for on the 1858. I'll see if I can get more of the story as well. Maybe I can get some better shots of the remington too. It really is awesome to hold/see up close.

T

·
Registered
127 Posts
If you get the name of the museum, the folks there should be able to corroborate the story in short order if it is true.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.