Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

A good friend brought this back for me. I am a bit out of my depth here (I usually focus on Great War Enfields) and would appreciate any comments as to whether it is the genuine article, a mishmash of parts --- or ? Frankly this is immaterial to me given the nature of the gift but I am interested nonetheless.

I tried to photograph all the marks. The stock may have a very faint cartouche but certainly has a P. The buttplate tang is stamped 32 P
My limited references would suggest this is a 1856 Cavalry Carbine - is this correct?

Finally, I would also appreciate suggestions on preservation/cleaning or any other action to be taken. Thanks in advance.

IMAGES HERE

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Are there any proofmarks on the barrel? Everything else looks right as rain to me. The only other thing is the LSA trigger guard, which could very easily have required replacement in service.

There are some real experts in here that might have a lot better insight than I do, but it looks to me like you've got a good P'56 and a very nice example to boot.

Cleaning and preservation shouldn't be any different than with your WWI Enfields (unless you plan on shooting it).

·
Registered
461 Posts
This is a military 1856 Cavalry Carbine marked to the 3rd Dragoon Guards. It is virtually identical to the example posted by 4th Gordons. However, it seems that there is a slight difference in the sights. As indicated by Jrhead75, further information on the markings would establish whether it is military issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks both.
I have not disassembled the carbine much further than shown in the series of pictures linked above, the screw on the barrel band is frozen(currently soaking) so I have not been able to remove the barrel from the furniture. Where are proofs to be found? some dim recollection suggests on the underside of the barrel? The only visible stamping on the barrel is shown in the slideshow of pictures attached to the initial post - there is only one inspection mark on the barrel visible. This is a crown/32/B/broad arrow.
The rear sight is made up of two leaves of differing height/ranges.
Thanks again.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
Normally the proofs would be along the left side of the barrel just above the wood line (same general area as the inspection stamp). Getting the wood off and having a good look at the underside of the barrel should hopefully clear up any mystery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.