Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back I bought around 1,000+ 8mm Mauser (tracer?)bullets. Actual bullet weight varies from 181-183 grains. However none of my reloading books have any data for bullets of this weight. I want to use 4895 as a powder as they will be used in my FN 49 and Hakim. Anyone have a min/max source ? TIA !

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
i actually use 43-44gr for the same tracers your talking about in my 1919a4 works good. my barrel is not long enough to get them to light tho :(
You have a "snub nose" machine gun? I get USGI M25 30-06 bullets to light up out of my 4.25" 7.62x25mm CZ52 Pistol. A good tracer lights up in about 5" of barrel.....your tracers are just "DEAD" I bet!

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
A while back I bought around 1,000+ 8mm Mauser (tracer?)bullets. Actual bullet weight varies from 181-183 grains. However none of my reloading books have any data for bullets of this weight. I want to use 4895 as a powder as they will be used in my FN 49 and Hakim. Anyone have a min/max source ? TIA !
Since the tracer bullet is LONG for that 180gr weight and may raise up the pressure over a similar weighted ball bullet... you can just slide up to a heavier bullet and use that data for a guide to a starting load. Look at 200gr load data for your 8mm and use that as a cautionary starting load.

The IMR WebSite lists 39 to 45gr of IMR 4985 for a 200gr bullet in 8mm Mauser... Shorty's load sound right in the ball park for a good, safe load.

·
Banned
110 Posts
You have a "snub nose" machine gun? I get USGI M25 30-06 bullets to light up out of my 4.25" 7.62x25mm CZ52 Pistol. A good tracer lights up in about 5" of barrel.....your tracers are just "DEAD" I bet!

Thats not what i wanted to hear lol the barrel is 9" i think, i just figured that is what it was :(

·
Platinum Bullet Member
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I loaded up 25 rounds and shot them off this morning. Action worked fine, but they were all over the place. First time I shot this rifle. My last five rounds I found two 18" apart and no idea where the other three went. Going to give the rifle a once over, check the action screws, etcet. Has to be a reason it shot so bad. Bore is good, but not great.
I loaded 43.5 gr. Brass not chewed up too bad. Cases only went a few feet, if at all. About half ended up on the bench.
8mm bullets hard to come by around here. I have some 165 gr cast bullets I might try with the gas off.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Don't get too bent up if you can't get good accuracy from reloading tracer rounds. They aren't made to be target bullets i.e. aren't as concentric as a regular ball bullet. If they ignite, the center of mass moves forward during flight and doesn't necessarily burn out concentrically, making them off balance and less stable.

·
PlatinumBullet Member
18,949 Posts
Don't get too bent up if you can't get good accuracy from reloading tracer rounds. They aren't made to be target bullets i.e. aren't as concentric as a regular ball bullet. If they ignite, the center of mass moves forward during flight and doesn't necessarily burn out concentrically, making them off balance and less stable.
Yeah really. They ain't target rounds and forget about trying to make them so. They are used to get an idea of where your rounds are hitting in combat. I would never, ever, think about using a tracer round for anyting but combat. They are fun to shoot, if you don't set the woods on fire after, of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.