Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
1. Thirdly, what was the significance of the "M47C", why did BSA use it and why both "M47C" and "No5 MkI" on the rifle? Was the "No5 MkI" a later designation for the same type rifle?

2. Fourth, assuming it does not have the 18.5 ton psi/2.222" stamped on it, would this indicate anything noteworthy?
1. The M47C denotes the factory = BSA Shirley, Birmingham, England.
2. It has not been through English Civilian proof after 1954.

·
Silver Bullet member
837 Posts
First, all things being equal, would a BSA typically be considered more desireable/valuable, than a Faz, as the Faz production numbers were roughly twice as high?
Just depends on the condition. All things being equal the BSA may have a very minor increase to value.

Secondly, would anyone possibly know the month of the BSA "BE" serial number prefix used in 1945?
BSA started with BB in 1945 so it's a good way into the year.

This rifle does have the CAI billboard import stamp visible on the barrel, and no visible BNP 18.5 psi/2.222" that I can recall, but I'll look again when possible.
The CAI 'billboard' covers the side of the receiver, the barrel stamp is the small one. Look for the BNP mark on the barrel, under or just in front of the hand guard.

·
Copper Bullet member
570 Posts
If it's a CAI import, chances are it came from India or Pakistan and won't have any of the BNP/NP proof house marks. Most of the rifles with those marks are not import marked other than perhaps a small "England" mark.

-Mark

·
Gold Bullet member
2,635 Posts
As to when the importer started using 'U-King', you will probably never know. I recently contacted Century about when they started to use a certain mark. They could not tell me, they were however able to determine (via the serial number) that the rifle was imported in 1991-1992.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts