Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Hi Dale. I was just going to post a question about this powder for .223 as I got a pound of it with a ton of reloading stuff I bought from a customer. Also included were several sets of dies and a Redding competition powder dump and Redding press as well as two Lee progressives. Is this Powder any good for .223? It listed data on the can for mostly varmint calibers from .17 Rem. up to .308.It had a suggested load for 55 gr SPs which is what I have for bullets.

I was just thinking of using it up while I had it.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Andy, BL-C2 should be OK for .223 55gr bullets. Hornady manual list loads 24.4 gr (2800 fps) to max load of 28.1 gr (3300 fps). Once you use up that BL-C2, I recommend Varget and Benchmark powders.
Regards,
Norm

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Thanks Norm. I have a CZ 527, so really only want accuracy. Is the BL-C2 not as accurate? I have been about as happy as a pig in s**t with all this reloading stuff I got. Hundreds of bullets, a ton of dies in calibers I actually shoot, top notch press, the lees with a bunch of quick change plates, 1000's of once fired brass in 7mag, .44 mag, .357 mag, 9mm, .45, and on and on. I bought a lot of MFS primed brass for the 30-06 awhile ago, just sitting in cans now. I want to start some loads for the Garands(I'll be taking yours out soon, I hope) that will be accurate as I only bought 480 of the HXP before it went skyward.

·
Gold Bullet member
785 Posts
Never tried the BL-C2 powder since I get all the accuracy I need from Varget and Benchmark. I'll be interested in hearing about your experience with the BL-C2 when you try it. Make sure you don't use a slower burning powder in the M1 or else you will get over pressure and a bent op rod. Have fun with your M1.

·
Gold Bullet Member
408 Posts
Never had great accuracy using BL-C2 so I moved on. Other powders gave better accuracy which is my main criteria, This was with 6.5x55, 7.5x54. Maybe some others.

Just started reloading .223 but didn't try BL-C2. I agree with acirema, Varget is good for 55 gr .223 accuracy. But Varget also works well with other 30 cal. or so milsurp cartridges.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
Honestly, IMO it's a very old powder (relatively) and so many people simply jump at what's new that it has few users anymore.

Just look at the lists of what people reccomend in rifle propellant. It's almost always something new from the past decade, seldom much earlier.

Handgun, it seems to be the exact opposite, for whatever unknown reasons.

I will be trying it in some 762x54R loadings. My .308 is suficiently happy with WW748BR that I have never seen fit to test much else. I ALMOST tried BL-C(2) when I started loading .308, for whatever reasons (long ago), I went 748 & 4064, 748 won that one. I have a couple other powders for that same -x54R testing when I can get there.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I've got some WC-846. It's supposed to be the military equivalent to BL-C2.(You use BL-C2 data with it.) I have two loads in .223 Rem. both with 55gr. bullets that shoot .700" 5 shot groups out of my Rem. VTR-15. I would think a bolt action could even do better. I think like Oldstuffer said it's (BL-C2) is just looked over because it's been around for so long. BTW that performance advantage you mentioned is why it was used in the M16 as WC-846 and another powder that I think was WC-844.

·
Gold Bullet member
2,348 Posts
I used to burn a lot of BL-C2. Especially in my .222 varmint rifle. I also used it in my .223 and my 250 Savage. I was introduced to it buy a guy I shot with. He was a top shooter and swore by it. What he really liked was that it metered very consistently through his powder measure. Unlike the stick or rod powders that were prevalent back then. He got the same shot to shot consistency without having to weigh every charge.

Why people don’t use it much anymore I cannot say. I can’t even tell you why I don’t. Except that I got a good deal on a couple 8 # jugs of Accurate 2230 which performs very much the same. I can tell you I didn’t quit using it because of any problems with it.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
I see it on the shelves with regularity and was thinking of giving it a try, albeit it isn't a sexy powder newcomer, on paper the numbers seem great.

Dale
IMO you hit the nail on the head right there! Its a "vintage" powder and there are alot of new generation reloaders these days along with the powder companies marketing their lastest and greatest creations,which in reality only recreate the wheel so to speak. Same holds true with other powders like H322 and H380 and IMR 3031,whens the last time you saw an add for any of the oldies but goodies.Then there is the word of mouth reloaders that dont want to experiment When I shot alot of Highpower competition all I would hear from the "internet experts" if you reloaded with anything except RE15 and Varget you would just be "wasting your time" . Well thats total BS ofcourse.I made Master Class using pulled powder from Albanian 54R ammo! and I let everyone that would listen and was verbally chastised often as I was gonna blow up my AR15! Yea Right! Just like everything the older stuff is just as good or better than the new powders in their proper usage !

Tim

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
You guys are geniuses. I will have to try the YT load you speak of. What is a good charge? I have the 50's Bulgarian that is nothing to write home about in the Mosins...
TennTex32 has given some very good and indepth advice indeed, To further add to that ,If you happen to want to experiment further using pulled powders in cartridges smaller than the donor as I did with loading the 223, Be very cautious and start very low. The powder I used acted similar to IMR4895 or a touch slower in the bigger cases ie:303,308,30-06 BUT when loaded into the smaller 223 case the burn rate of the powder increased alot I ended up extrapolating the data inbetween 4198 and 3031,Yes it worked well and was laserbeam accurate in the little 223 but I never seen a fireball that big upon firing in all my life.(similar to an M44) LOL !. So again be cautious and do your homework and research.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
RU shooter, correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm learning as much as the next guy, but would a fireball as you saw in your .223 loads possiby be an indication that the powder is too slow for the cartridge and is also being burnt to a large degree outside the barrel? Did you run into a scenerio where more powder didn't increase velocity? Were your velocities somewhat normal or somewhat below normal when using the milsurp powder in the .223 case? Which powder were you experimenting with? It's valuable info that you've obtained, and sharing it with others like myself would be greatly appreciated. Of course a "Hold Harmless" clause would apply, at least on my behalf. Assuming it was a .30 cal milsurp powder you were using in those .223 loads, it's definately puts you in the "Ballsier than me" category, but then again I don't even own a .223/5.56 caliber rifle.

Dale
That would be my suspicion, but, as I note, it is my suspicion only, it makes perfect sense tho. I also note the 2' fireball my Mosin Carbine spits out with factory milsurp ammo. 2', I swear. Got a good look at it yesterday on a dingy, grey, rainy day when someone else was shooting her, checking out the recoil pad. Big bright orange fireballs.

Then again, I run a .223 powder in one of my .308 loads (pushing a .223 bullet tho), SABOT round, changes the "rules" a bit.

In heavier bullets you start to see, in the loading data, the faster "30-cal" powders, like WW748, IMR's 3031 and 4064 show up in .223/5.56, because the faster powders just peak too high too fast.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,234 Posts
RU shooter, correct me if I'm wrong here, as I'm learning as much as the next guy, but would a fireball as you saw in your .223 loads possiby be an indication that the powder is too slow for the cartridge and is also being burnt to a large degree outside the barrel? Did you run into a scenerio where more powder didn't increase velocity? Were your velocities somewhat normal or somewhat below normal when using the milsurp powder in the .223 case? Which powder were you experimenting with? It's valuable info that you've obtained, and sharing it with others like myself would be greatly appreciated. Of course a "Hold Harmless" clause would apply, at least on my behalf. Assuming it was a .30 cal milsurp powder you were using in those .223 loads, it's definately puts you in the "Ballsier than me" category, but then again I don't even own a .223/5.56 caliber rifle.

Dale
Yes it probably was not optimum for the 55-60 gr bullets I was shooting as regular IMR4985 is not optimal either, I also believe that regular canister powders use a flash,flame retarder to regulate burn rate that may be lacking in combloc milsurp powders thus the huge ball O flame! I was useing Albanian 54R pulled powder in this instance, The CZ LB powder acts similar in regards to speeding up the burn rate too but not as bad I generally use 3031 data as a guide in the smaller cases with the CZ LB powder,But as you stated a warning is needed one lot or years mfg may act differently than the next!

As far as the velocity on the loads I dont have a chrono, But judging by my change in evevation at 200 and 300 yds It was very close to what I dialed in for reloads using canister grade powder. maybe 1/2 min. change at most. But a half min. can be needed plus or minus for ligh conditions So ??? I feel it was close to wat I was getting normally, I never really loaded hot for that rifle as I never got the accuracy I needed at max speeds ,middle of the road seemed to be what that AR15 liked even my 600 yd loads were mild in comparison to what some were shooting as I needed alot more elev. that the other guys were putting on at that distance.

But the point I was making is that pulled powders can act very differently than canister grade,Thus the speed up in burn rate.If I would have just stuck with 4895 data in the 223 as I used in the bigger volume cartirdges I would have a min. had pierced primers and maybe worse!

Tim

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I've got some WC-846. It's supposed to be the military equivalent to BL-C2.(You use BL-C2 data with it.) I have two loads in .223 Rem. both with 55gr. bullets that shoot .700" 5 shot groups out of my Rem. VTR-15. I would think a bolt action could even do better. I think like Oldstuffer said it's (BL-C2) is just looked over because it's been around for so long. BTW that performance advantage you mentioned is why it was used in the M16 as WC-846 and another powder that I think was WC-844.
I have 48 lbs. of WC-846, I use it in both 5.56 and 7.62x51 loads with great satisfaction.
I have an old paper plate at my Dad`s with three 5.56 rounds touching at 100 yards using 25 grains of WC-846, 55 grain surplus Winchester tips, Winchester primers, and RP brass.
The platform is a 1 in 7 twist FN 20" upper.
Open sites.

It`s good stuff, talk to Pat or Brian McDonald out of Massilion, Ohio.
They sell it in 8 lb. containers for around $100.00? Look in SGN, they normally run an ad in the reloader section.
I think the WC-844 powder was for tracer, but Pat will know.

·
Banned
536 Posts
I used BL-C(2) in my 5.56mm reloads, but I have been reading about something that might be a wee bit better. It is IMR 8202. By the sounds of it, it will work great in 5.56\.223 and 7.62. Must be good stuff, I visited 2 places today, both were well stocked stores and I got the only 8 pound container they had of it.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I have 48 lbs. of WC-846, I use it in both 5.56 and 7.62x51 loads with great satisfaction.
I have an old paper plate at my Dad`s with three 5.56 rounds touching at 100 yards using 25 grains of WC-846, 55 grain surplus Winchester tips, Winchester primers, and RP brass.
The platform is a 1 in 7 twist FN 20" upper.
Open sites.

It`s good stuff, talk to Pat or Brian McDonald out of Massillon, Ohio.
They sell it in 8 lb. containers for around $100.00? Look in SGN, they normally run an ad in the loader section.
I think the WC-844 powder was for tracer, but Pat will know.
I didn't want to get into all the little details when I wrote that reply but WC-844 was a refined version of WC-846. It leaves less of a certain residue behind than WC-846 does. It was never proven that it caused less stoppages than WC-846 though in the M16.
You got 48 lbs. !! Must be nice.:)
TennTex32,
Hodgdon's Reloading Center shows data using BL-C2 with 6.5x50 Jap and 8x57 I didn't look for any others but you'll probably find it lists it for many others. You use BL-C2 data for WC-846.
Motor

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
tenntex32;
I can`t help you with a local source but Pat will combine the haz mat charge on up to six 8 lb. containers.
Follow Motor`s advice, I use it in 8mm as well.
Motor;
I did the above deal over the phone about 3 years ago, I knew that if the dems got in component availability/prices would become another item on a long list of "issues".
I bought 16k primers in each category as well at $16.00 a 1k, try that now.......

Okay, enough said about that,LOL!!!
Cheers!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.