Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the local pawn shops today and spotted a nice 147 - 1939 marked K98. After noticing all the numbers matched, down to the screw heads, I could not find an import stamp anywhere. I typically pass on K98's, but this one got my attention. Especially when I noticed the stock markings. And price was easy one the wallet. Opinions?

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
That was a great deal! You usually can't find a RC k98k at that price. Stock has been "enhanced" but at that price you are WELL ahead with this rifle. Tough code to find. I have to ask, how is the bore?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice score. Not to split hairs but it is a 6 digit serial number. The letter "O" designates the 15th 10,000 series so the number is actually 150024. Sauer produced approximately 209,258 in 1939. The highest serial number recorded being 9278t = 209278. See Law "Backbone of the Wermacht" page 130

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
Did not know that. Clever numbering system.
So, is the stock refinish a factory job? Thanks for all the info.
Stock is definitely "enhanced". That is not the factory finish. Hurts the value on a all matching k98k rifle but the proofs are still there and easily visible so it's not a "huge" detractor IMO. The value can be estimated with a description of the bore and muzzle condition. If your rifle had a nice shiney bore and the stock wasn't enhanced, it would easily be a $1,600+ Rifle. The reason why it's a tough code to find is due to so many early rifles being lost on the Russian front and the general longer duration of them serving in war.

Some unsolicited advice.... Describe the bore to us so we can get you a fair value on the rifle if you intend to offload it so that you can maximize your profit. I'm sure you are getting quite a few offers and surely lowball ones through PM's since you got a all matching tough to find JPS k98k for the price of a average condition RC. You even got a offer to sell or trade on your post which IMO is kind of looked down upon but I get it.... Folks are thinking that they will sweeten the cash pot by a few hundred over what you paid and they will get a really cool matching k98k.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks again. Just cleaned the bore and it is shiny. Muzzle looks good and no signs of pitting. Tried to take a picture, but that is tough to do. My daughter got tired of holding a light. :)

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
Thanks again. Just cleaned the bore and it is shiny. Muzzle looks good and no signs of pitting. Tried to take a picture, but that is tough to do. My daughter got tired of holding a light. :)
Well if the bore looks as you say, I personally would not even consider a price less then $1k for it. For me that would be a fair value on the rifle considering that the stock has had some light molesting and that the finish is a bit worn with some light pitting even though that is to be expected. At auction with detailed pics, I would expect it to go higher. By 1938, sauer had already officially switched to the hot dip salt bluing process (even though rust blued examples exist into 1940), and your example is hot blued. JPS is somewhat unique over other manufacturers/assemblers in that in they highly polished the receivers and parts before bluing which made for a very distinct look. Also JPS did not produce their own receivers which is why they are considered assemblers. Do you have any pics of the side rail and the right side of the receiver?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thats an amazing deal you got don't let people kid you man. In real terms go to GB or GA and watch what they sell for. If the bore is good you could walk away with a nice little pile of cash. I can see it going for a grand or more no sweat, and that stock is no big deal either, as they want be making no more. As time goes by the price goes up. I wish you the best of luck and don't let people lowball the crap out of you or bs you. Im sure you know all of this and don't need me to tell you nothing. Anyway nice rifle and great ind for a steal.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I'd bet at auction that rifle would go for over 1k even with the stock refinished. Thats easy to remove. Very nice rifle. Congrats on a good score. Unless you need the money, I'd hang on to that one, better than money in the bank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.