Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have to admit I'm surprised, I thought someone may have seen it before. Another mystery yet to be solved, the search continues :crossfingers:

·
Registered
652 Posts
Some sort of property mark.....maybe the city of San Francisco?

The city used to own a camp just outside of Yosemite. I am wondering if they sponsored any Boy Scout marksmanship activities back in the day, and had some rifles in inventory to facilitate that.

I have a S&W 28-2 marked "S.F.P.D." on the barrel. Obviously an old police gun. I live about 2 hours drive from the city.

Just throwing out a slightly educated guess. Hopefully somebody else more knowledgeable will chime in.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

·
Gold Bullet Member/Moderator
25,338 Posts
Interesting Monte Carlo stock. My 7 US44's don't have that. Nice one.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,557 Posts
probably a school or ROTC unit marking and rack number

south fork
san francisco
sandy fork
south fayetteville

all guesses

maybe no way to really know, unless someone else has an idea, or the records can be found of where the rifles were issued

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
I had a Mossberg 144LS. The LS stood for Lyman Sight. Same basic barrel profile and stock and barrel band. As I recall from the bench and a rest it was pretty accurate. And same sights globe front and Lyman rear sight. Think I may have an extra one in my sight box. No mystery metal all wood and steel. Frank

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
My 44 US has a small Ordnance wheel on the comb of the left side of the stock and my Rem 513 T has a RRA rebuild stamp on the left side toward the butt. I doubt the SF is for San Francisco even though at one time before it became a lunatic asylum there were “Normal” people there, most property was marked “City of San Francisco”.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
48,557 Posts
probably out of a military school or ROTC unit,

stock may be a commercial replacement,

I recall when my Father serviced the weapons at some schools, and units they would sometimes get commercial stuff to fix the weapons (usually replacement sights) that may not have gone thru the usual military channels,
(school had funds to buy parts outside of the .mil)

again, no way to really know with this particular rifle, just an observation

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It's obviously a property marking and rack number but who knows from where. It could just as easily be Santa Fe rather than San Francisco or ???
Dan

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
the stock and front sight isn't your typical configuration that M44 were issued with to military units. just a guess, it was probably put on for military marksmanship competition. the S.F. could mean almost anything, the A7 is more likely a rack number

·
Registered
787 Posts
Could be San Francisco, as there was an Army Barracks present for many years. Google WW2 for depot markings in San Francisco. Depots did rehab work on weapons.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The 144US and 144LSA are ones I don't have yet The 144US was a training rifle while 144, 144LS (stands for Lyman Sight), 144LSA & 144LSB were civilian target rifles. As mentioned earlier this is probably a rack number. I have seen this one discussed on another forum but don't remember the outcome,

1 - 14 of 14 Posts