Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a144LS yesterday. The old gun is in real good condition. It is missing the rear sling sling swivel
and the one on the hand stop. Looks like it's got a new mag and extractor. It was pretty hard to get it to feed. I finally figured it out, trying to work the bolt slowly doesn't work well. Looks like it will go well with my mod 44us.
My question is my 144 is marked 22 short, long, and long rifle. Did they sell a different mag for 22 shorts.
HDHIC aka cliff

·
Registered
674 Posts
Parts are available for these from Havlins Sales. I see they have a magazine for the Model 144 series but it is a aftermarket 10 round and not the original. The Mossberg mags used a short adapter (a special screw in the bottom of the mag) to use with 22 shorts. The only mag I see they have with this adapter is the one for the 42, 43, 44 series of rifles and is 7 rounds. The mags for the 44 are not compatible with the 144 (I'm sure you knew this already).

Personally I have never tried .22 shorts in mine. The CCI Quiets are pretty fun as well as the Aguilla line of subsonic and primer only ammo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The Mossberg mags used a short adapter (a special screw in the bottom of the mag) to use with 22 shorts. T
There was a second type of mag adapter to shoot shorts. The R632 mag used a peice of flat spring steel (usually lost). I have only seen one and I now have it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 144LSB, which I don't think says S/L/LR. However, that is a mag issue.

I sourced a couple of magazines from Ebay that have an adjustable front feeding lip attached by a spring [I think]. There are three pairs of notches on the top/front of the magazine. The adjustable feed ramp pops into the front one for .22lr, to the middle one for .22l, and to the rear notch for .22short.

This is a link to the one I bought earlier this year [IOW, this one is sold- to me], that is working [despite not being listed for 144]: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MOSSBERG-Model-340-342-350-352-Magazine-7-Round-22-S-L-LR-VINTAGE/333298742467?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If you search, there is another one like this for sale right now on ebay. But, I am NOT providing the link to an open sale. I simply provided a link to a sold item to use for reference. Alway check for a visual match. I get a little nervous about that adjustable feedramp design possibly breaking off a tab or something.

Good luck!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes they do break off. I have a few that are broken. Sometimes just one side breaks. It is best to be very careful when switching from "shorts" to "LR" (I found that it is best to push down on the spring when doing that). It seems that that is when they break. They are listed as #1220 for Model 340B to 350K. There may be jobber mags out there in the same style or some are fitted to other models.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes they do break off. I have a few that are broken. Sometimes just one side breaks. It is best to be very careful when switching from "shorts" to "LR" (I found that it is best to push down on the spring when doing that). It seems that that is when they break. They are listed as #1220 for Model 340B to 350K. There may be jobber mags out there in the same style or some are fitted to other models.

Do they still work for LR if the adapter feed lip is broken off?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yes they still work for LR with the tab broke off. Some times the side tabs both break in the short position and you have to reposition main piece to the very front of the mag (LR position).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts