Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have a 13mm Mauser M1918 T-Gehwer? I would like to correspond with others who own this very unique AT rifles. Send PM with e-mail address.

Bill

·
Copper Bullet member
1,447 Posts
Does anyone else have a 13mm Mauser M1918 T-Gehwer? I would like to correspond with others who own this very unique AT rifles. Send PM with e-mail address. Bill
T-GeweHr.

Might help when you are doing a search, eh?

Best wishes

tac

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Now, that's one interesting rifle. I'd recon it would be hard to come by ammo.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
There have been a couple offered for sale recently on other gun forums. I don't own one myself, but wouldn't mind having one someday! ;)
Here's a pic I came across awhile back of one.

·
Administrator
9,326 Posts
T-1918 TankabwehrGewehr

Just a little-bitty Mauser single shot... with a whopping 13mm Bullet a-top an almost 4 inch shell (predecessor of the .50BMG), and whacking recoil to boot. (like getting hit by a Mack truck.

I have three...all Aussie "bringbacks" (official), each one matching numbers, in the 3xxx to 5xxx range, with MG08/15 rivetted bipods.

Shooting them: original cases are rare as hens'teeth, and existing cartridges are worth too much as collectors pieces.

Making shells: .50 cal BMG make a good case, if carefully formed to headspace on shoulder (original T18 cases are semi-rimmed). Cases with a semi-rim can be made by turning down the head of a .50BMG, threading it a fine thread, and fitting a sleeve with the rim turned on it; otherwise, turning the entire case from 7/8 inch brass bar, then forming down to get the final case (one of my T18s came with brass bar, full set of dimensions, reamers, Dies etc) Annealing is also required at several steps in the Process. Make primer pockets to take CCI #35 .50 BMG primers, rather than the anemic LR Boxer size, which approximated the original Polte Berdan primer used.
Powders used are the Slowest .50cal types available. Bullets are CNC turned from Electrical Copper Busbar ( actually 95/5 alloy); Brass Bullets would be OK as well. I also have a .50 cal Mould (900 grain)Casting, which I then sleeve with K&S Tubing ( .500 ID,.525 OD, which is groove diameter). I have even sleeved .50BMG projectiles with a swaged brass tubing, to lock it into the Boat tail.

I can understand why a German "FrontSchwein" hated the T18...two shots had your head ringing, Five shots your Nose (and/or) Ears Bled...anymore and your Shoulder was out of action. Those fitted to the A7V (Germany's only tank design) had Naval type Pulleys and ropes to counter the recoil, and a padded vest for the gunner. It had no sling Points, so carrying it was either an "Over the shoulder" affair, or two guys handling it. And carrying by the (heated) barrel was NOT an option.

Developed after the Battle of Cambrai (late 1917), Mauser had designs and prototypes ready by early 1918, it was accepted, and the first guns and ammo rolled out by April 1918; Total made , just over 15,000; ammo made from 4/18 to 11/18, some months are rarer than others as to survival. Some ammo probably still made into 1919, but with 11/18 headstamps;
All T18 ammo made by Polte of Magdeburg, headstamp "P". eg " P T67 4 18" Polte, T cartridge case, 67/33 alloy, April 1918.

A fine example of Mauser Know-how and manufacturing ability. The US destroyed many in the 1920s using them as Ammo test guns for the development of the .50 BMG cartridge; Browning himself acknowledged his design debt to the Polte cartridge, especially the Bullet shape (Browning worked with Colt for the .50BMG design, and Winchester in developing the original cartridge.).

The ultimate "Mauser" in any Mauser rifle collection.

regards,
Doc AV
AV Ballistics
Brisbane, Australia

Used by the Poles against the Russians (1919-1920); Adopted by the Swedes, 1923, who made both rifles and ammo;Milsurp Bought by the Chinese in the 1920s (ammo made by FN and Swiss for China up to the 1930s)...excellent "Door Buster" in Chinese City walls during the Warlord period. Copied by the Soviets, for both AT and heavy MG use; 13mm cartridge dropped in favour of 12.7x108 Degtyarev by Mid 1920s; although some Maxim type "TuF" guns were made (probably from German "parts" sets).

We use them in re-enactments (WW I) using resized .50 cal Blanks. Works very well, and cases will extract with existing extractor.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
I know that there is one at the WWI museum in Kansas City. I hear they paid around $7000 for it. The pic you posted, I saw as well, on GB- I think they were asking $10000 or so...
I understand that they had trouble finding anyone to fire them during the war, as the recoil was tremendous.

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More Information

http://www.ycgg.org/tgewhr.htm

You can even get brass from waffen Dorfer in Austria.

Your PM is not working. I tried a Google Search on waffen Dorfer in Austria and got no hits. Can you please provide the address to their website as I would like to try to get some cases? Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never Seen Short Barrel One

A shop here had 2 awhile back, large rifle. Was there a shorter barrel one made also? Is the last word in Mauser collecting. Doug.
A shorter barrel will reduce the velocity of the projectile which doesn't make sense. With an anti-tank rifle, you want to put the maximum energy on the target. Since the velocity term in the kinetic energy equation is a squared term, doubling the velocity will put four time the energy on the target. Energy deposition on the target is the name of the game.

Bill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I have one as well with serial number 10xx. Unfortunately, it is missing the bolt... Anyone knows about a lonely bolt somewhere? Or maybe have a blueprint or detailled dimensions of the bolt parts??

I emailed Waffen-dorfner about ammo components but they have yet to write back... Anyone reloads for their T-Gewehr??

·
Gold Bullet member
2,611 Posts
Theres a small indoor shooting range here in Buenos Aires, and the guys have the T-gewehr hanging from the wall, unfortunately its not for sale-

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
1,707 Posts
The standard work on these is: Wolfgang Kern, Tankgewehr Mauser 1918 (2002); includes a listing of all known (to Kern a/o 2002) rifles. It is still in print; 39 Euros. There is a legitimate short-barreled version.

·
Administrator
9,326 Posts
Update: last Month just acquired T-Gewehr # 4 ( of my collection)...it had a Tubular Bipod, but the Shipping company dropped the crate and LOST the Bipod in transit. No amount of searches etc were of any use.

Gun and bolt and shellcases did arrive safely (crate a bit the worse for wear).

WE are now producing several hundred T18 Blanks and Dummies for an up-coming Film on WW I (1916-1918)..Two guns will be required in a "Tank-Busting" scene...need some detailed photos and dimensions of "Slings" made up to carry the T18 ( seem to be similar to the MG08/15 webbing and leather slings...anybody got good photos? Also for the Canvas Ammo Pack Satchell...very rare item these days.

Thanks and regards.
Doc AV

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi DocAV,

Im with the Geelong Military Re Enactment group of Victoria. I have just picked up myself a mauser anti tank gun but missing the front and read sights. do you know anyone that has part?

Volks

·
Registered
14 Posts
Buddy has serial number 6333. Missing pistol grip and bolt. Don't know what the 3 Ks are on barrel and ZZ on the receiver.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts