Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got a 1940 Sauer that is missing its 10" cleaning rod. Found one online for $120 with the last two digits of my serial number. Not sure about the Wa#. Is that what someone should expect to pay for something like this?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
The short rods have been priced substantially higher than the 12.5" type for some time. $120 seems pretty steep to me though. Is your rifle 100% matching otherwise? It would be the equivalent of a forced matching part since not the original matching rod. The rod always seemed to me the part most likely to get mismatched due to the nature of having to put 2 or 3 of them together to be used.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
This response is a surprise to me. The seller need not know it is matching. Make an offer. If you are a good talker you might figure out his phone number from his listing info. If you are nervous, compose a thoughtful message with an offer. Since you got no guidance just wing it. Say $60? Assume best case he will come back with a counter so leave some room. Either way, I see this as a classic example where a little negotiation should be attempted. Look at the shipping. if is is more than $10, subtract the difference from any figure you toss out. (Edit, dont complain about shipping, just look at it)

Not only did you not get any help. You risk the seller reading this post. No matter, work it as best you can.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Liberty Tree has them for $30. Originals. I doubt they will search the numbers, but; you can ask. It set a good basis to negotiate from. That is for you to know. I dont know if you should point that out to the seller. Maybe have a friend contact him with a $40 offer and a link to Liberty Tree. Then you come back next week with your $60.

Liberty Tree are people like anyone else. Dont take that wrong: Great sellers. Busy, I am sure. If they decline to search the numbers, offer them $60.

I really hate to let myself get cheated just to add to my collection. It is principle as much as anything else.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This response is a surprise to me. The seller need not know it is matching. Make an offer. If you are a good talker you might figure out his phone number from his listing info. If you are nervous, compose a thoughtful message with an offer. Since you got no guidance just wing it. Say $60? Assume best case he will come back with a counter so leave some room. Either way, I see this as a classic example where a little negotiation should be attempted. Look at the shipping. if is is more than $10, subtract the difference from any figure you toss out. (Edit, dont complain about shipping, just look at it)

Not only did you not get any help. You risk the seller reading this post. No matter, work it as best you can.
What I had in mind is the negotiation aspect was somewhat implied. $120 is certainly pricy, but he could no doubt get that down a little. I have usually been willing to pay a decent bit extra to complete an already matching rifle. Maybe that's just me though...

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
Liberty Tree has them for $30. Originals. I doubt they will search the numbers, but; you can ask. It set a good basis to negotiate from. That is for you to know. I dont know if you should point that out to the seller. Maybe have a friend contact him with a $40 offer and a link to Liberty Tree. Then you come back next week with your $60.

Liberty Tree are people like anyone else. Dont take that wrong: Great sellers. Busy I am sure. If they decline to search the numbers, offer them $60.

I really hate to let myself get cheated just to add to my collection. It is principle as much as anything else.

Those shown in the Liberty Tree photo are not rods for the K98k, but some South American contract rifle. They might fit, but are not originally for the K98k. The K98k rod would only have the last two digits of the s/n. It all comes down to how much the Op wants a rod with the last two digits of the s/n for his rifle. We assume it is all matching rifle otherwise, but he has not confirmed that. There were sellers on ebay and gunbroker in the past that have offered a pick of numbers available.

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
15,946 Posts
The $120 cleaning rod may have the same two numbers but without the correct WaA number - it is not matching.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
It's one of those "your call" kind of things. No right or wrong answer. A lot of the early rods have a WaA stamp, but not all as I recall, especially by 1940. If you could find a short one with just the last two digits would probably be best. Also, not sure what the short rods without number choice go for these days. The matching rod was something that never bothered me much since all the rifles I had owned were missing rods, or had mismatched ones anyway. To each his own!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 'G' dated rifle that is all matching except the action screws. It has been reworked, but other than the screws is all matching. I found a correctly numbered/waffenamt'd rod for it several years ago and paid $110 for it. I would do so again in a heartbeat. If it's a rifle you plan on keeping I would buy it. If not, or you're not a K98 nut, then let it slide. Like has been posted, there are a couple of factors involved in making it completely correct. Not sure if Sauer was proofing the rods while numbering them at that point. If it is completely correct, buy it. You'll never see another one.

·
15,946 Posts
I have a 'G' dated rifle that is all matching except the action screws. It has been reworked, but other than the screws is all matching. I found a correctly numbered/waffenamt'd rod for it several years ago and paid $110 for it. I would do so again in a heartbeat. If it's a rifle you plan on keeping I would buy it. If not, or you're not a K98 nut, then let it slide. Like has been posted, there are a couple of factors involved in making it completely correct. Not sure if Sauer was proofing the rods while numbering them at that point. If it is completely correct, buy it. You'll never see another one. View attachment 3811485
I would think that a true "K98 nut" would know that a K98 is a Polish rifle and that what they are a nut about are German K98k rifles.

·
15,946 Posts
I get what your saying but even this forum is titled K98 :ROFLMAO:
I formally requested that be corrected some time ago but it was never changed from The Gunboards K98 Mauser Forum to The Gunboards K98k Mauser Forum.

I suspect it was not changed because "someone" wanted to avoid confusion between The Gunboards K98 Mauser Forum and what the Gunboards moderators considered to be a superior forum, The K98k Forum at www.k98kforum.com. My opinion is that regardless of which may be the more technically advanced forum, this forum on Gunboards is not about the Polish K98 rifle.

The attitude I perceived at the time seemed to be that collectors went to The K98k Forum and only novices went to The Gunboards K98 Forum - and the Gunboards moderators did not want any confusion about which forum was which. I have noticed that collectors will generally refer to the German rifle as K98k while novices often erroneously refer to the German rifle as K98.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.